28g Nano cube stocking questions?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Brennan, Nov 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

So I am planning on getting the tank for christmas and wanted to know which one of the two stockings I had in mind would be better. The first stocking would be a pair of percula clowns, one royal gramma, and one clown goby. The second would be a yellowstripe maroon clown, a bangaii cardinal, and a pair of purple firefish.
    Questions:
    A:Which stocking would work better?
    B:Is there enough room in the tank to add a second maroon clown to the second stocking?
    C:Could I add a pair or single firefish to the first stock?
    D:If you have a better idea on the stocking of the tank what would it be? Maybe a flasher wrasse? (I would really like to know)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Might be some other with good suggestions.

4. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

What do you think about the flasher wrasse? would you sub it in for another fish?

5. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Flasher wrasses need a lot of room to swim back & forth. I had a few (one male) in a 38 before, and I felt bad for him after I found out how much (and fast) he swam back & forth while flashing for the ladies in there. Needs a longer tank, IMO. And just one male alone isn't really going to flash much with no ladies to impress.

6. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

I do like my first stocking better, but is there something else i could add that is a goby or blennie (something that stays near the bottom) besides a yellow clown goby because they dont seem that interesting and i heard they hide alot. (if you have one and like it, tell me more info please)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Redheaded gobies stay small. Mine were always out & watching me.

8. Click Here!

9. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

would a tail spot blenny or yashia goby work?

10. TruespeedEM1

TruespeedEM1 Skunk Shrimp

Check this section of this site out:
    Nano Fish

I would look into a clown goby. I have one in my 120 gallon and its so small but its personally and color make it stand out a lot.

11. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

First one looks ok with no more additions(fish wise)
    2nd one i agree with 2in10-firefish do well in groups or just single,and you don't have room for a group(3 or more,i've always heard they should be keep in odd numbers).And the maroon clown not only gets pretty big,they can become aggresive as well,especially in a smaller tank.

12. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

It seems to me that you're not going to be satisfied with that sized tank. You haven't bought the tank yet so you could maybe just go a little bigger and avoid overstocking or having to upgrade too soon. There's no rush so think about it carefully.