245, 300, or 320? Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by darthweezy, Jan 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. darthweezy

darthweezy Astrea Snail

Ok 3Reefers, I need your help!

My Spring project is finally to put in a dream tank into my basement.
    I plan to have the aquarium in-wall on a corner with one of the short edges also visible. There will be a decent-sized fish room behind the display tank.

I am looking at three tanks...

First is the Marineland Deep Dimension aquarium with a 72x36x27 footprint.
    Second is a Great Lakes Aquarium 245 show with a 72 1/8x30 1/8x26 1/4 footprint.
    Finally is a Great Lakes Aquarium 320 with a 96x30 1/8x26 1/4 footprint.

I really like the DD tank as a 36" width is pretty amazing. But, the corner overflow will force me to be creative to hide it and still place the tank on a corner in the room.

I have heard great things about Great Lakes Aquariums and since I live in Michigan, I could save on shipping! It looks like they have a lot of nice options and I can get the 320 for less than the DD.
    So what do you think, a six foot or eight foot tank?

Also, does anyone have good advice on building the in-wall stand? How high? 30" or 36"? I've built freestanding stands before, just not in-wall.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

2. Click Here!

3. kv2wr1

kv2wr1 Astrea Snail

320 all the way. You can keep larger tangs and fish in an 8 foot tank. 36" tall stand if you plan on putting a sump under it. This will give you more options for skimmers assuming you are doing an in sump skimmer.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

A tallelr stand usually means the average adult doesn't have to bend down to look in the tank at all.

MY 180 already has the stand built and the bottom is right at about 37in.
    Tha puts the tip of the glass around 5 ft.

It's your call though

5. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I like the 8' long myself so that would be my choice. I would also keep in mind, how wide are your doors in your house? I would have no way of getting a 36" wide tank into the house. 30" might be pushing it without removing the door stops on the frames lol.

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

7. Bruce PSL FL

Bruce PSL FL Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Is there even any question.....

If you can afford it, and it fits, then definitely the 8' tank.

As for height, I would make it high enough that the top of the tank is above your eye level. Nothing I hate more than having to look down on a beautiful tank.

Personally, my stand sits about 37" high, and the tank is 40". That puts it almost 4 inches over my head. PITA to work in, but I love the height.

10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

320 is pretty sick looking.. 30" width is nice..

Go big or go home ha ha ha..

Then again the 245 is 30" width also and saves 400+ which can be used on all the other parts.

man I feel your pain and I not even buying it.. I would be pulling my hair out

either way you go will be nice

11. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

I vote 320. Unless you go full custom is gunna be hard to upgrade from that! The price diference is negligible considering the cost of all the supplementary equipment you need and 8' is just awesome!

12. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

Wow don't worry about doors, I went 72x36x36, had it delivered flat packed and got them to make the tank in my basement, I love the 36inch height and width, and I'm pretty sure the fish love it too (they never said they didn't LoL)
    At the end of the day, the bigger you go, the more the pumps, waves, heaters, lights and skimmers cost..................... But it's only money and when your dead who cares :) Spend it now and enjoy life.

CBSurfrider likes this.