24 hour light on coral?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by 10acrewoods, Dec 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Has anybody kept coral under 24 hour lights. The reason for this question is I bought some rock for my fuge and after a few days I noticed a small mushroom on the rock. It has been in my fuge for 3 days with 24 hour light. It don't look bad but didn't know if it could survive down there with all that light. :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Why does your fuge run 24hrs? I'm under the impression that your plants need a night cycle to stay regular and get rid of waste products.

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

no plants in fuge. I am just trying to start an algae bloom. I know I sound crazy but I like to try new things Algae is my friend.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

you do sound nuts. As to your question, I would imagine that if you have 24hr lights for a while, then the corals might not do as well. Many emit feeding tentacles at night or excrete waste at night, whether they can adapt to do this during the day, I don't know.

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Hmmmm.. Never thought about it...

7. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

Ok,

I dont know about corals but I have grown indoor plants for a long time. I know for a fact that plants need at least 6-8 hours of dark to develop roots correctly. Normal cycle for plants indoors is 16 hours of daylight and 8 hours off and plants go nutts. I cant say for coral but most living creatures need to have a "Sleep" time.

8. Click Here!

9. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Animals have evolved to live some of their lives in the light and some in the dark. They can probably survive for a little while but you will need a light dark cycle at some point.

10. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

well it is a mushroom coral. I have only seen mushrooms shrivel in the dark never extend tenticals. If it was a candy cane then maybe I would have to say they need a dark period. But this is a hitchhiker so I will have to see if he makes it.

11. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

i know some can light various types of plants for 24hrs of light threw out there vegi stage. and they can then be forced to flower upon switching the lights down to 12hrs on and off. dont ask where i learned this info.;D i could say more but i wont.

12. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I don't know much about plants but most things I have read says that coral are not plants but animals. I think that the photosynthic state is throwing most people off. I appreaciate the comments but I think this thread is heading in the wrong direction talking about how plant can not survive with out darkness.