210 reef - taking it slow

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by scajeo, Dec 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Feeding time at the seaweed bar. These are the straglers. 8 weeks ago I had hair algae covering my tank. There was nothing visible. This FTS is a shot taken 2 weeks ago. What a change. DSCN2710.JPG DSCN2719.JPG DSCN2720.JPG DSCN2710.JPG DSCN2719.JPG DSCN2720.JPG DSCN2721.JPG DSCN2724.JPG

chum and DSC reef like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Looking good!!! It's funny, my purple tang won't touch seaweed on a clip. I have to break off chunks for him. Spoiled fish. Lol

4. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Everything comes to the clips, even the davincci clowns. Everyone seems to like the green algae over the red but will devour the red after all the green is gone.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

scajo- what do you think did the trick for getting rid of your algae! your tank looks awesome!

DSC reef likes this.
  6. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Thanks OFK... I ordered a prodibio product called BioClean. http://www.marinedepot.com/Prodibio...Combo_Packs-Prodibio-PD00922-FIADAOMB-vi.html

Unbelievable at how quick the bacteria go to work in the tank. Make sure to turn the skimmer, UV and carbon off for a couple hours, they suggest an hour but it wasn't working until I left mine off for 3 hours. They recommend every two weeks and if you don't notice a large difference to not increase dosage but instead increase frequency to every week.

DSC reef likes this.
  7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

good to know! I have biodigest - it must be a different product? although it says it provides bacteria that help remove excess nutrients which I know is the problem in my tank. I will take the advice to leave the skimmer off a little longer - the biodigest doesn't recommend removal of carbon but perhaps I'll try that as well. So glad to hear the product did the trick for you!

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

It wasn't until I went to once a week dosing that I showed results and then on the second week it started changing almost right in front of our eyes. But, like I said, I extended the length to 3 hours on the skimmer and UV and I shut down the carbon reactor as well. I had to clean my socks at least once a day, there was a bout of 2 -3 days where I had to change socks twice a day and then back down to once a day. I talked my LFS into carrying the BioClean and he's already had two people purchase it and both had success. Best of luck OFK.

DSC reef likes this.
  10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Bioclean I believe is a different strain of bacteria. I've heard nothing but good stuff about there products.

scajeo likes this.
  11. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

BioClean has two different strains of bacteria. There is BioDigest and then Bioptim both offering different results and you can purchase one without the other but work wonders together.

DSC reef likes this.
  12. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Well I'm getting the itchies again for a BTA. What do you all think of either of these??? acid rain bubble tip.jpg green ice bubble tip.jpg

chum and DSC reef like this.