210 gallon tank problem

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by DrHank, Jul 29, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DrHank

DrHank Plankton

Earlier this summer I purchased a used 210 gallon tank (96"X24"X21"high) . It was configured as a breeder tank with 3 internal baffles and a 2" bulkhead in the bottom for the drain. I removed the baffles and installed 3 3"X1/2" thick cross supports at the top with GE Silicone I.

The tank has been in operation for about a month now and when I was doing a water change this afternoon I noticed that 2 of the 3 braces had pulled loose (probably due to the internal pressure on the tank. I'm concerned for obvious reasons. Can anyone tell me if I should worry about the lack of top cross braces. I know that they are making rimless tanks now but do they need cross bracing? Does my tank need cross bracing?

Should I start looking for another tank?

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

look into euro-bracing. Its basically useing glass or acrylic to make a rim around your tank and cross members as well. Its great if you use a canopy because it gives a place for it to sit firmly, and hide it.
    [​IMG]
    in the pic you can see the glass "lip" all the way around the tank.

4. DrHank

DrHank Plankton

Can it be added to an existing tank? Do you have any suggestion as far as a source is concerned? Also I was thinking is there some where that I can get a one piece top rim with built in cross braces?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I dont know of any places in FL. Here, we have a custom tank builder about an hour away. I would think any place that deals with glass would be able to get you what you are looking for.

You would have to break the tank down untill the silicone is cured because without braces, the tank is bowed out, which will cause to not be able to get the top on right.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I would definitely add some kind of support to the top of the tank, especially with a 210g. tank.