20ppm nitrate

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by vegasfish, Apr 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I just noticed my protien skimmer was not working. I checked my levels and all tested out good except my nitrate at 20ppm.

I just reset the skimmer to see if I can get it working any suggestions in the mean time? Should I cut back on feeding?

2. Click Here!

3. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

why is the skimmer not working? pump? what skimmer are you using? try to take out the skimmer and clean all the different parts of it.. and make sure none of the holes or tubes are clogged by salt.. do a throughal cleaning and it should be fine..

in the mean time, cut back on the feeding and reduce the light cycle a little bit, if you can't get your skimmer to work.. i would start with some water changes once a week to reduce the nitrates unless you get your replacement part right away or buy a new skimmer :D

1 person likes this.
  4. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

It is a piece of crap skimmer that came with my sea clear 65 gallon tank. I have it making bubbles again and I cleaned out the entire collection cup and parts. Seems to be back on track but I not expecting it to start to make any skim for a while till it puts that thin slim on the inside. I don't want to buy a new skimmer since I am building my 240 now and hope to be transfering it all over in two months.

5. m_hsiao

okay in that case, just reduce your feedings and light cycle for now and do some small water changes here and there to keep your water parameters to par till you switch over to your 240G :D
    your bioload does not seem to be too big anyways from your signature

6. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I just checked and the skimmer is making some foam now! I have a fresh batch of water ready to go in the morning so all is looking good.

7. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

After about 16 hours of skimming the Nitrates are down to 10ppm. I am going to do a 20% water change today and then test it after 8 hours.

8. Click Here!

9. m_hsiao