2010 Ford Escape Question?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by ScubaBrett22, Apr 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I would steer clear of all GM's personally for the most part. You had a F150, that is a much better truck than any GM truck.

Iraf is right, if you need to tow jet skiis, get the escape, or an explorer of any kind. If you plan on towing a 22 foot boat, then you might want to look at a full sized SUV. It also depends on what you will be towing for the most part. if you will only tow that bigger boat a couple times a summer and the jet skiis every weekend, get the explorer. If you never plan on towing the big boat and only the jet skiis, get the escape. Teh other thing you need to remember is the heavier the load you tow, the more maintenance costs will be. You will use up brakes a lot quicker towing a 4000 lbs boat than a couple of jet skiis. You have to weight the added costs of towing heavier things with gas mileage, and wear and tear on he vehicle with the use of your friends boats. If they don't ask you to pitch in for gas in exchange for towing their boats, then that is a deal. Otherwise those are extra costs that you will only incur.

What do the parents think? Since they are buying it, they might have a bit more to say about it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

Agree my parents want me to be safe if the car cost 17,000 new to them its to cheap to be safe they don't mind 21,000.00 for a new car but i am looking for used F-150's with a Extended Crew cab with a V8

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I added a bit more as you were replying to my last post.

5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

you may want to look at new 4.6L powered F150's the dealers here are advertising decently loaded 2010 crew cabs that get 21mpg highway for 23k new, XLT with chrome package and sync basically, you can probably get a brand new extended cab for 20ish with the 4.6 in it

the 4.6 is plenty for pulling up to 5000lbs, anything over that you have to get a lariat or better with the 5.4l Triton which is what I pull with but then your spending 30+

6. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

Very true i bet i wont tow over 5,000lbs lmaoo

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

fwiw, the f150 is available with the 5.4 v8 in XLT trim. You don't need a lariat to get that motor.

That said, the 4.6 3 valve is more than enough for most hauling duties. I would get the 3 valve 4.6 over the 2 valve one any day of the week. The 3 valve motor has about 50 more hp,a nd 25 lb ft more tq,a nd has a a 6 speed tranny compared to the old 4 speed in the 2 valve 4.6. It gets better gas mileage as well.

If you want an explorer, you can get a new one with the 4.6 in either a normal 4 door explorer or the sport track with the bed for a steal now since they are going to unibody explorers next year, and also they have been poor sellers in recent months. That 4.6 gets better mpg than the v6 explorer and has a lot more power too. Since you are not planning on towing anything over 5000 lbs, the sport trac might be the best option.

8. Click Here!

9. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

But the V8 sounds so so so so much better with a cut throat exhaust system xDD

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I agree, a v8 always sounds better than v6, but in the options I listed in my last post, the 4.6 IS a V8. It's a very nice V8 as well, especially in 3 valve format.
    The fact that the 4.6 v8 gets better mpg than the 4.0 v6 only makes the decision so much easier. If you want a sport trac, get the new style one (07+ IIRC) with a 4.6liter V8 and pass on the 4.0 v6 equipped ones. The old style solid axle sport tracs had no engine option, only the v6 while the newer style sport trac with the independent rear suspension has either the v6 or v8. The newer IRS sport tracs weigh more than the old one too, so while the original ones were fine in v6 only, the newer ones really benefit while towing with the v8.

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

You can get the 5.4l in an XLT but only in 4x4, cost the same to get a lariat 4x2 and way nicer interior on the lariat package

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Ahh I see. Up here I would never even consider getting a 2wd.