2008 Yard Haunt

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by geekdafied, Oct 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Well some of yall know Ive been planning on doing this for a little while, and Im pretty much finished with it. Got a few tweaks left, but thats about it.

95% is DIY stuff done super cheap. I'll explain things in the pics for those interested....

Heres the "Before" pic after I added the cemetary and the fence. Most of the cemetary is DIY tombstones made from 3/4" stryrofoam cut into shapes and painted with exterior "screw up" paint. (screw up paint is paint that wasnt mixed right at a store, sold for dirt cheap, $2.50 a can)..... The fence is made from limbs I pruned from my trees and held together with zipties. The fence post are $0.97 1x2x8's cut to size. Both the fence and posts were painted with the same "screw up" paint.
    [​IMG]

This pic is after I used the fogger (which is a whole other story), the chiller I made leaked really bad which is why everything is foggy.... The foggers, I picked up for $70 shipped, 2 Eliminator Lighting "Fog it E-119" 700w Fogger's....
    [​IMG]

Here is my DIY Flying Ghost made from scrap pvc tubes and $2 roll of cheese cloth soaked in Rit "Whitener and Brightner" which makes just about anything glow under a black light... First pic is how it looks from the road, second pic is a close up...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next pic is a Spider Morph Emma picked out at the store that cost like $10. Its human skeleton in the shape of a spider(with 8 arms and hands). Emma and I colored it with a highlighter so it would glow.
    [​IMG]

Next is a Full shot from the street, its kinda blurry like some of the other pics (my camera sucks at night without the flash and tripod). I bought 4 sets of orange string lights and ran them across the fence, and hooked up 2 clamp lights I had and bought some blue flood light bulbs to light up the cemetary.
    [​IMG]

Right Side...
    [​IMG]

Left Side
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

LMAO at " I was pushed"!!!! It looks great man!

1 person likes this.
  4. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

Awesome!
    Wait till this next year.. Now that I got my art-n-crafts wizard living with us (mom) I'll have plenty to start posting with ya on things like this!

;)

-fritts

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

This is my first time at this... Ive already got tons of ideas for next year! A lot of DIY animatronic stuff.

Emma wanted to do Humpty Dumpty, and I happened to have seen an empitaph that said the name with "I was Pushed", so we added it.

1 person likes this.
  6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

The Epitaphs....

Edgar Allen Poe ~Nevermore~
    Humpty Dumpty "I was Pushed"
    Jeffery Dahmer "mmm... mmmm... GOOD!"
    Elvis
    Stella Live
    U.R. Next
    I.L. Beabach
    C.U. Sune
    R.I.P. Van Winkle
    "Your Name Here"
    "This Space For Rent"
    Kerry M. Hoff
    Paul Tergeist

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Excellent!!!! I hope you don't mind if I copy you for next year. Imagine, a whole year to plan..........and the after halloween specials to take advantage of.

8. Click Here!

9. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

that looks amazing!! i am really diggen' the Flying ghost!!!! looks great.

how long did it take you to create this? (the yard that is)

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

We should exchange notes sometime! Ive got tons of ideas (not sure how most of them will turn out yet, haha!) Gotta love the after season sales! hahaha! The best stuff however, isnt halloween stuff.

The fence literally took me a full day broke down over 2 days (thats pruning, painting, running to Lowes and everything)... I came up with a better method towards the end though, lol. Would took me like 4hrs to make the whole thing if I did it how I did it the last 10 feet, lol. I made about 75 feet of fence, lol. All in all, it took me about a full week to make everything. But I did it in pieces, here an there, etc. The good thing about it, I dont have to do so much next year, hahaha! Ive already got most of it made!

The flying ghost needs more cheese cloth to make it longer. I used 1 "T" connector, 4 90 degree connectors to make the arms, really needed 45 degree, but I had some 90's laying around and some scrap 1/2" pvc pieces. You can see the pvc through the cheese cloth, but not when the black light is on.

I dont mind a bit to help anybody out with ideas and tricks on how to do this super cheap.

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

You have to do a fence for security reasons... It helps prevent would be thieves and vandals. If they have to scale a fence, most teenagers now days wouldnt mess with it. I also bought extra 1x2x8's to make stakes that I hammered into the ground behind the tombstones, and used 30lb fishing line and wrapped it around them to secure them to keep them from blowing over in the wind. It also makes it so if somebody tries to steal it, they will destroy it trying to remove it.

1 person likes this.
  12. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

tahts cool dude karma for your efforts:)