$200 Powerhead Budget for 45G SPS Cube

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by cowlr, Jan 21, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cowlr

cowlr Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I am in the process of building a 45 gallon cube SPS tank (24x24x18) and the next item on my list is a powerhead.

I have a strict $200 budget that I set for myself. Given that this is going to be a heavy SPS tank, I am starting to get concerned that a single Vortech MP10 might not do the trick. And given that I may be heading in the DIY light direction as well, I will likely be picking up an Apex JR which would perform the same functions as the Vortech controller.

With that said...what would people recommend I do? Single MP10? Single Hydor ____? Dual Hydor ______? Tunze?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

A single MP10 is above your budget, unless you get it used. I had a single MP10 on a 50 gallon tank and it wasn't enough. Tunze is also probably out of consideration on a $200 budget.

I'd look at four Hydor Evos 550's ($30 each) on a Smart Wave timer ($70). If you are willing to spend a bit more, 750's might be better ($40 each).

4. cowlr

I should have said my budget is $220 - which is the going rate for MP10's. With that said - will it be too little flow for a heavy SPS 45 cube? For reference, the cube is the same size as a 60 cube, just several inches shorter.

5. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

I would go with the mp10 for now an then add another one when possible. You could always add a koralea or 2 if need be for a little extra flow. But for the money you can't beat a vortech IMO!

6. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

Also if your doing DIY led lighting and wanting dimming look at rapidled.com they have a dimming control for $75 that all you need with it is a timer to plug lights in and it does everything else. Work very nicely, buddy has on his tank. Has a remote can change everything with a few clicks, very handy for acclimating new corals

7. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

In my opinion, a single MP10 would not provide enough flow in a 45 gallon cube for SPS. If you add a couple of extra inexpensive powerheads, it could work, but alone an MP10 would not be enough.

8. Click Here!

9. cowlr

Any thoughts on running two Tunze 6045's? They are manually adjustable up to ~1200gph. Can get them for about $85 new.

Do you think running that setup make a material difference in my tank (ability to keep thriving SPS) relative to 2 MP10's? $170 vs $450 is a big difference.

10. cowlr

Just learned about another potential option. Every now and again Tunze 6095's pop up (new) for just over $200, so I could go that route instead. It's a 'wide flow' pump which I think might be a good fit for my cube.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Could control with Apex.