200 gallon leaking

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by patrice, Dec 27, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. patrice

patrice 3reef Sponsor

Hi,
    I went to feed the fishes at the school yesterday and this is where my day became really busy. The tank was leaking on the flore (why??). I did not take any chances and drained the tank down, set up a new tank at home and moved the live stock. What a mess.

Now I wonder what to do with that tank. If it was a smaller tank, I would simply take it apart and redo the silicone. But for that tank, I am hesitating beacause of the water pressure. Will it leak again? is the risk of more problem high?

What do you think I should do?

Regards,
    Patrice Lapointe
    Mad Captain's Aquarium

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I think you need to figure out why the tank was leaking in the 1st place to prevent it from happening again. Use a level, see if the stand is tilted. Is this on a wood floor? Where did the aquarium leak?

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

To add to what Matt suggested I'd ask where was it leaking from ?

5. patrice

patrice 3reef Sponsor

Hi, thanks for the help, The floor is hard as concrete. The leaks came from the the corners. just like if the silicone was to old to to it's job. That tank has beed donated to this school so we don't know how old it is or if it has been stored for some time before to be donated. They filled the tank only 3 month ago.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd fill it with freshwater and see where its leaking from Maybe it was just around the upper brace rim ? I have seen amny tanks though to e leaking only t just need a dab of silicone under the rim.. Or with it clean and clear you have a better chance of locating the leak also maybe a easy fix ? just strip the bad seam and wipe and clean and reseal it..

7. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

You could always make one huge hamster cage :)