20 long mantis tank

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by ZachB, Mar 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

So, I'm considering setting up a 20 long as a mantis tank. The G. Ternatensis caught my attention at stomatopod.com.

I have a spare 30" 2x24 watt T5 light fixture laying around, along with a 20 long. I could throw in 15-20 pounds of sand and 10-15 lbs of rock and I'd have myself a decent mantis tank... has anyone successfully kept soft corals in with their mantis? I'd like to toss some shrooms, zoas, etc. in there for some additional color.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I have heard of quite a few people keeping soft corals with their mantises. What I would do is I would put the corals on a rock that is way to big for the mantis to move. The biggest problem with keeping corals is the mantis may move them and they wont get enough light and die.

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

yeah...I currently have zoos, mushroom, a kenya tree, colt coral and various leathers in my tank

I have my corals on top of the rock pile and have only placed medium sized corals in there...no little frags and no corals on the sand....or else they might move it during their housekeeping!

I did wait several months before I put any coral in there just to get Bob on a routine and have him get used to me! I also have a fish in there and he has not bothered it...even when the dumb fish hides in his den wiht Bob when I clean his tank

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Coolness. Yea, I would be waiting for a while for the shrimp to get used to the tank before I started adding corals. I'm thinking I may add a couple small fish later too. Just in the planning / pondering stages at this point :)

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I currently have a xenia in mine, and I might actually be getting a bubble tip anemone for it as well. Princess isn't big enough to move her rocks around. She also has a damsel buddy in there.

A 20 long would be an awesome mantis tank!

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Sounds good to me. I wanna have one!!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

So I definitely think I'm gonna do it :)

I'm going to be setting this up in my office at work I believe. I have just the place for it, probably do some colorful soft corals eventually and use some nicely shaped rock which will be large enough for the corals to be attached to, and give the lil dude plenty of places to hide / bore, but not to bulldoze over and kill the corals.

Maybe one or two fish as well (pair of juvi clowns, perhaps?). I would prefer to do a 10g sump, probably use a coralife 65 skimmer. I will be drilling the back of the 20L and using a corner 90" elbow as standpipe / strainer, also drill the opposite side for sump return.

10. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I am sending you an invite the the stomatopod group now. lol.

Sounds good ZachB. Cant wait to see pics.

11. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid