20 gal acrylic tank build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by tharr, Jan 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tharr

tharr Plankton

Ok i am making a 20 gallon tank, well maybe a little bigger (20 gal dementions- 24x12x16 mine-24x16x18 ). Now ive seen several people use the tank safe silicone to hold a 80 gallon tank together, but never seen them filled. would the silicone hold mine or should i make some kind of top and bottom bracing as well?

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

i would thing so but you could make a bar that hold at the top and botton out of acrylic and that would help. I have seen one made out of glass that was help by nothing but sylicone.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Silicone will not hold an acrylic tank together. You will need to get acrylic glue for that.

5. tharr

tharr Plankton

Ok so then just get something like an acrylic cement and use the sylicone to seal it?

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If you use the cement correctly you won't need the silicone to seal. Besides the silicone won't likely seal it anyway. The tank will hold about 29 gallons when you make it.

7. tharr

tharr Plankton

How do you figure the gallons, I used to be able too but college was a couple years ago and dont use some of that stuff any more lol.

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

On the rith under you user name is a tab that has calculators try it i belive there is one in there.

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

11. rc_mcwaters3

will it bond acrylic to glass?

12. ccopelin

ccopelin Plankton

Acrylic to glass with silicone is a bad idea if you are putting any pressure on it. For acrylic you need to use weld on #3 or 4, weld on 16 is a thicker solvent and easier if you dont have experience.