Unresolved 2 unknowns

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by reefnJeff, Apr 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

Again I am very sorry for the poor quality in the pics, I hope they are clear enough to get an ID.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. reefnJeff

In pic 1, its green, kind of a leather feel to it and the end feels like a rough brush teeth with a slit in the middle of it.

In pic there is a stem looking thing that has a bunch of these branches, at the end of each branch there are these white duster looking things.

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I can't make out anything but a blurry blob in pic 1, but pic 2 are a type of digitate hydroid.

5. reefnJeff

blob is kind of what it looks like blurry or not, I don't think its an animal, I really need a better camera, auto focus stinks.

6. Jay1982

Jay1982 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What kind of camera are you using? Prop it on a solid surface and as you go to take a picture hold the button right before it clicks, it'll focus even more and then snap the shot. The shutter will stay open a fraction of a second longer and you'll get a crisper shot.

7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

The 2nd pic is hydroids, but not digitate.
    No idea on 1st pic.

8. Click Here!

9. reefnJeff

So are those hydroids OK? they look innocent enough, kind of neat looking, like white daises blowing in the wind, hahaha! should I get rid of them?

10. IvIountainman

IvIountainman Spaghetti Worm

My opinion if you want to have coral near where the hydroids are you should use kalkwasser to get rid of them. Most hydroids start as one small colony and before you know it you have many colonies spread throughout the tank. They agressively sting neighbors. I have two species of hydroids in my tank. Hydroids are not really a threat they just have a nasty sting to your coral and can form new colonies no where near where they are now. I keep close eye on mine... when they start to mature I hit them with a syringe of hotwater. They mostly die off but reappear in time in the same place. This method has worked for me and I haven't noticed them spreading since I started this. At one time I had 8 colonies, which I hit with hotwater and plucked their bodies from the rocks with tweasers.

Pic one is impossible to tell, by your discription maybe its green coralline algae??

11. reefnJeff

I sure wish I had a better camera, I sure like to know what that is, I found another one, but smaller, from what I seen it was growing inside the rock, a piece broke off my rock and there it was under the piece that broke.

12. IvIountainman

IvIountainman Spaghetti Worm

Asterina? some look kinda green. and if you have them there is no place they do not go.