2 part vs Kalk reactor???

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by anpgp, Oct 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I'm wanting to get my Ca/Alk/pH under better control and more stable but not sure how to go about doing it. I've never had a Kalk reactor or Ca reactor before and I'm a little fuzzy about how the setup would go. I like the idea of the two part dosing using the bulkreefsupply dosing pumps and probably the ESV two part system. I've also looked into the Kalk reactors but not knowing much about them, I don't know how much better that route would be. Can anyone offer their advice or suggestions. It would be for my 40b w/ 20 sump system. I also have an ATO system and have heard people tie in their kalk reactor with the ATO, is that true?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I did an experiment this year with just kalk from a Tunze reactor and I could not keep the big 3 in line with acropora corals even in a nano. I was able to keep a nice softy tank with just kalk a long time ago.
    I recently (FINALLY) setup a Bubble Magus T-01 doser with ESV. I love it. Very easy to setup. Especially with Steve Wright's instructions on 3reef and Crank's review. I recommend that route.

matt

4. lynnmw1208

lynnmw1208 Skunk Shrimp

I just recently started dosing esv b-ionic 2 part and I really like the control of it. so far i am just keeping track closely of my levels dropping and how much I add using reef calculator. Once I get about 2 weeks worth of data, I will divide that by how many days and figure out how much I need per day. Eventually I'd like to set up some dosing pumps on a controller so I don't have to do it manually.

I was afraid of using kalk because of the inconsistency of it. it would all depend on my evaporation rate in my tank since I would've tapped into my ATO system. I feel much safer dosing things myself.

So far I really like the stuff and I have seen better coloration and growth in my corals :) hope that helps.

5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards the 2 part dosing system and your recommendations just pushed me towards it.