2 Part - First timer

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by gabbyr189, Feb 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Okay so I think I calculated everything right, here are the specs:

My total volume is about 45 Gallons.

Current Levels:
    Calcium: 420 ppm
    Alkalinity 7 dKH
    Magnesium: 1050 ppm

Desired Levels:
    Calcium: 450 ppm
    Alkalinity 10 dKH
    Magnesium: 1350 ppm

I have Soft, LPS, and Mostly SPS
    I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals - Salinity is 1.024
    I do a 10g (~20%) water change weekly.

I will be using Bulk Reef Supply Recipe 1:
    Crystalline Calc Chloride (2.5 cups + RODI to fill 1 Gal jug)
    Soda Ash (2 Cups + RODI to fill 1 Gal jug)
    Mag Sulfate + Mag Chloride (3 Cups Mag Sulf + 5 Cups Mag Chloride + RODI to fill 1 Gal Jug)

SO the additions

Calcium:

It says max increase of 50ppm/day. This would be an addition of 230mL/day. I only want to increase 30ppm. This is 138mL. I will add this in one day.

Alkalinity:
    It says max increase of 1.4 dKH per day. This is 45mL per day. I want to increase 3 dKH. This is about 96mL total. BUT it also says not to increase pH more than 0.20 per day. The problem is that I have stupid API pH test kit. pH has not changed in months. It is hard to tell the color but I think it is 8.3. Everything is doing awesome with that pH. It will be hard to tell the increase. Can anyone confirm 45mL/day is good? or should I add ~30mL/day for 3 days? (These are approx measurements, I will be more exact in the additions.) Any advice?

Magnesium:
    It says max increase of 100ppm/day. This is ~ 363mL/day. I need to add ~1089mL. So I will split the 1089mL into 3 days.

This is my first time doing this. I just tested all elements of the tank. I don't want to do it until somebody confirms this is correct. After I get the desired levels, then I will figure out how to keep them stable. Thanks!! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You are pretty much on the right track. Make sure your math is right. Just go by BRS instructions... they are pretty straight forward.

So is 45g you ACTUAL water volume or you guess. You need to run the calculator to find your actual volume and use that for your calculations.

Next... test your salt water. IO is not balanced (very few are) and I'm pretty sure clacium is high and Alk is lower... so that will goof up your daily dose numbers since you are doing such large water changes weekly.... you will have to dose more alk and not equal parts.

Next... get your numbers where you want... don't do a water change... then don't do anything for a week. Test your water... see how much cal and alk dropped... find out how much it will take to get them back where you want... divide that by 7 and that is your daily dose.

But first... you have to get your numbers back to where you want by adding in that dose.... then do the daily dose.

Last... I caution you against a DKH of 10. There really is no good reason to be there. There is much more chance of over doing it and burning your corals. Yes people have jacked up numbers... but there is no good reason... except they may be more experienced and have their stuff straight and that is what they want. Just remember... the Great Barrier Reef was built with natural sea water.;)

So... I suggest you raise your Alk to 8... 9 tops. Get comfortable using 2 part. get your chemistry solid and daily dosing down pat. Get stable. If later on your want exagerated chemical levels.. well then you will be better prepared with what you are doing.