2 part calcium tanks

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by mile high reefer, Feb 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mile high reefer

mile high reefer Fire Shrimp

I would like to get a calcium reactor but I have real expensive taste and am watching spending. I currently use kent 2 part and a not so great kakwasser drip for my make up water. Are there other poor man tanks(lol) out there. I would love to see pictures of how great a tank looks without a cal reactor. Seems like the nice tank all have them.

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I don't have one and my tank is pretty nice. It really helps for an SPS tank though and I only have PCs.

4. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

I have a large system with dosing calc alk and mag. I have lots of SPS and LPS that are growing well. You do not have to have a reactor to grow SPS but you have to add calc, alk and mag or the SPS will not grow much. Stability is the key to growing SPS maintaining all of your water parameters, good lighting, and lots of flow.
    You can buy your calcium and alk supplies from your grocery and hardware stores for very little money and do a nice job maintaining your tank for a lot less money than using Kent 2 part system.

5. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

Glenwood Springs is where Doc Holliday is buried isnt it? You ever been there? If so is their anything worth seeing?

6. mile high reefer

Yes it is where doc died. I actualy rented an apartment in the old sanitarium he died in. Lots to do here. Hot springs Pool,skiing,tram to caves,Hiking, biking,Rafting,Spas, golf, eating.

7. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I'd hope so ;)

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I don't think its necessary to have a calc reactor to have a really nice tank. If your concerned about the price of supplements, you can try using bulkreefsupply.com. I love them, I got a bucket of Ca and a bucket of Soda Ash for $30. They also have Mg. Very inexpensive and great service and reliability.

10. mile high reefer

no not worried about price of two part. I just dont have 750 to 900 for a good quality reactor. I have also noticed that most nice tanks have one. I more worry about water chemistry and creating an unbalanced water colum.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

If you just keep up on your supplements, you'll be fine. What I did was test my water in the morning for Ca, then test at night. This will give you a good idea as to much Ca you tank used in a day, or you can do it over a few days. Then just determine how much supplement you need to keep the Ca at the level you want. You can dose it daily or tri weekly or whatever works for you. You can do this with Alk too. Mg, I just test every once in a while and add as necessary. Do this, I've been able to keep my Ca between 460-440 to average 450ppm.