2 more clownfish dead!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by reeftankgirl, Mar 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reeftankgirl

reeftankgirl Astrea Snail

ok now seriously I need some answers on what is going on in my tank. I have had about 6 or 7 clownfish die on my and there had to be something that I am doing wrong.... The first few times LFS told me that it might be the fish or the stress levels. I get my water tested every week and I have 5 corals and 1 7line wressa all that seem to be happy and corals are growing and lively. All water levels are at were they are suppose to be nitrate's 0, etc. I have a 16g bowl front. I feed them once a day at night. i mean what am I doing wrong? I love clown fish...!

I seriously dont think its the fish because I have bought about 7 in different occasions and exactly a week after i buy them they get sick and die. This last time I got 2 and 3 days ago they started swimming near the powerhead against the current like if they were in a hurry to get somewhere....in the past 3 days 1 of my clown fish was eating great but the other lost its appetite and wasnt eating much then yesturday they were both in the bottom corner of the tank swimming in one place, I did a water change and they moved around for a bit but then back to a different corner, this morning the 1 clownfish that wasnt eating much was very pale and just drifting around the tank I just got the news from roomate that it died and the other is still in one corner but it looks worse than yesturday.

Does anyone have any idea of what it can be?:confused:....

On the otherhand my corals are happy and the 7line wressa is happy and swimming around.

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

How much rock do you have? Your tank is 3 months old, right?

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If you are getting these fish from the same fish store, I would shop elsewhere and see if maybe that's the problem.

5. reeftankgirl

I have about 25pounds of live rock....my tank is about 4 1/2 months old. there are brown spots everywhere so I know that my water is circulating and doing its job atleast thats what the LFS told me...

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

How big are the clowns? And yea like amcarrig said are they from the safe LFS? It's not PetCo is it?

7. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

I would try another LFS to purchase and see if you can get tank raised clowns - definitely hardier than wild IMO

8. Click Here!

9. reeftankgirl

I have gotten different sizes never to biig though....the first 2 times they were small not even an inch in lengh and then 3 to 4th time a little bigger like about 1 inch in lengh and this last time I got 2 small ones again.

I got them from a reef store a couple times and i think one time I got them from another store another time but always from aquariums/reef stores....

10. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

Are you sure that it's not Brooklynella or some other disease? I went through 2 clowns that did similar things in a same time period a few months back. My tank was about the same age as yours, so maybe something about your tanks age is reducing the clowns immune system.

11. reeftankgirl

It could very well be that but the clown fish didnt have any white spots on them....I actually bought Stress Coat and put it in the tank a couple days ago but when I put it they were showing no signs of illness but I just wanted to use it as a pre cautiun...

So if its the case and my fish are getting Brooklynella or my tank has that disease what can I do to my tanks water to kill the disease or make it safe for the fish?

12. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

In my case, my fish didn't show any spots either. They just got really lethargic, stop eating and would just sit on the sand bottom in a corner of the tank breathing pretty heavily. They only showed a very light mucus covering on their bodies after they we dead. I never really figured how to combat the disease. The other fish in my tank eventually followed suit, but it wasn't until a few weeks later. I didn't add anything new after the clowns died. So maybe they pass something along, who knows?

After all the fish died, I ended up going fallow for about 8 weeks and next clownfish that I got (which I still have) was put into a QT and treated for internal and external parasites before being introduced into the DT.