2 months and No coraline

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Siddique, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

So I've had my 125DT up and running for about two months now and I have no coraline algae growing anywhere. At first I didn't think I wanted it but now I do.

The tank right now has no algae at all growing in it. This is due to my lawn mower blenny and a turbo twist UV light. Could the blenny and UV light be hindering the growth of coraline?
    Or is coraline algae a separate entity altogether?
    All parms are perfect. I don't have access to a magnesium test kit right now.

2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

Have you introduced any rubble or rocks with coraline already on it?

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

My tank has also been only up for about 2 months and I have one rock that is covered with purple coraline. My other rocks are just starting to show signs of some purple and red. I started with about 40lbs of pre-cured and 30lbs base rock.

I'm not that exp with coraline but I think it can take a good while to grow depending on if you had good pre-cured live rock initially to seed everything. I doubt your blenny or UV is hindering it's growth, be patient and I"m sure you'll have some soon.

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

To speed up the spreading you should have some rocks, rubble, scrapings etc that have coraline on them. Also, it takes a little while for it to get going. It took about 3 months for it to start spreading in my tank (and I had a lot of live rock already covered heavily in coraline) and now it's everywhere - and it's a little annoying! Lol

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

+1

Like hard corals, coralline algae is calcareous by nature, requiring many of the same things corals do in order to flourish:
    • SG apx 1.024
    • Calcium - 350 to 480 ppm
    • Carbonate Alkalinity - 7-12 dKH
    • Strontium
    • Low Phosphates (Close to Zero)
    • Low Nitrates (5 ppm or lower)

7. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I had a couple small pieces when I first started the system but only a week ago, I added some more pieces and scraped off some coraline and dispersed it in the tank after researching it on the forums.

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Definitely give it some time then. It can take awhile! And if it isn't growing at all after quite some time, then your water may not be making it happy.

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

What are your parameters? See my above post.

11. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

my tank has been running for a year now and its just started growing well,, i started with all base rock ,well all but one piece of live rock.

12. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Oh I see. I read somewhere that it could take two weeks after seeding for it to start to spread and that's why I thought it was strange that it didn't start growing in my tank.
    I'll try to get some more scrapings this weekend. I'm glad I don't have to get rid of my lawnmower nor UV light.
    Thanks