2 General Questions (ATO and Leak)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Foreverfishy, Mar 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Evening Folks,
    I need some suggestions/advice as how to resolve 2 minor issues. My first issue is that sometimes when my Reef Fantic ATO ( Reef Fanatic Level Controller w/2 Float Switches - English ) shuts off, my Tom Aquatic Pump ( Tom Aquatics Aqua-Lifter Dosing Pump ) keeps siphoning water even though it's no longer running ( water will keep coming out for at least several minutes afterwards). I think the cause of this is due to my water storage container is higher than the water reservoir. Is this true? if not is there a way to stop the pump from siphoning water.

Also the overflow in my tank has a leak (probably from when I siliconed the overflow and i missed a spot) which isnt a problem until I have a power outage lasting more then 2+ hours. Is there anything that I can use to plug the hole without draining the entire tank?

Thank you very much!

2. Click Here!

3. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Install a check valve along the line. Only allows water through one way.
    Oops read that incorrectly. This will be an accidental bump for you. I'm at work on my lunch but i'll think about your problem and try to find something out for you by the time i'm off.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Always, always, always install a siphon break in the ATO feed. I learned the hard way to do this.

5. Moxtrain

Whats your ATO situation look like. I'm assuming the aqualifter is submerged in the reservoir but where does ATO hose run? Is it running over the rim of a garbage can type deal? Is it plumbed into the bottom of a bucket?

As far as your leak problem I would try something like coral epoxy or another putty type epoxy you knew was reef safe. Maybe plumbers putty but I don't know much about what the chemicals are like in it. Roll up some of it and run it along the seam and use your fingers to work it in there a bit. I haven't had too much success with superglue gel stopping my leaks. I've found that it has a tendency to form a hardened skin really quickly when it's wet which makes it hard to get it into leaking seams. Hope it's useful.

6. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

My Aqualifter is next to my sump with my hose running around the edge of the stand. From there it goes from the ground up 3 feet and into my 15gal reservoir.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

To instill the siphon break, is there anything specific that i need or can i use what I have at home?

Thanks again.

7. Moxtrain

The problem is definitely that your reservoir is above your sump. You might try adding outlet hose to your aqualifter and raising it up to the level of your reservoir. So long as the outlet is above the water level in your sump hopefully the hose will drain and break it's own siphon.