1st water change

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by joeydominick, Mar 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. joeydominick

joeydominick Astrea Snail

Did my first water change yesterday, used a gravel vacuum and it worked out well with no mess at all. Before the change:pH 7.6, ammonia a little above .25, nitrates 10, and nitrites 10. After the water change ph still at 7.6, ammonia .10, and both nitrates and nitrite 0. Last night added ph decreaser and ammonia lock. Right now in the tank Ive got 6 glo fish, 3 red/blue tetras, and a plecto. Is there anything else I need to do, Im putting a new filter in today. Anyone heard anything good or bad about Aquaclears insert that has both carbon and ammonia in it?:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

I used to put a seperate small bag of amonia remover in the filter to help. Usually within a day it was down. Make sure to cut the feeding by about 1/2. That was my culprit when I had FW.

4. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Have you had an algae bloom yet? Start monitoring phosphate levels and be prepared to battle them before algae becomes an issue.

5. joeydominick

no bloom yet, how will i be able to tell? is there another test kit i need to check phospate

6. joeydominick

just checked levels again. ph is still at 7.6, any help or ideas how to lower this. nitrates 0, nitrites 0, and ammonia was at 4.0. i added the ammon lock and ph decreaser and also put a new carbon filter in. just waiting for the ammonia inserts to arrive for my aquaclear 70

7. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i use to add vinegar to bring down my PH,

8. Click Here!

9. joeydominick

what just regular white vinager? how much?

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

you can buy ph down in a bottle. I think its a couple bucks..

11. joeydominick

been trying that, it still hasnt moved

12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

test your tap/ro water that you'll be using for your wc. it should be 7.0 if not add ph down to that water before adding to tank.