1st Water Change

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by SP5689, May 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

How did you put the water back in did you just dump like a 5 gal.bucket it in? Or did you slowly flow it in?. If you just hammered it in and shook up the sand that would make it cloudy as hell, as well as release all the things you don't want released like gases and nitrates and so on and so on. ...

2. Click Here!

3. SP5689

SP5689 Banned

temp was 76 and i did add buffer after the water change, i added 1 1/2 cup of salt for every 5 gallon of water. tested it last Friday and all was fine i even took it to my lfs to test and all is fine as well. 25% water change. i added stress zyme + to the tank. no corals. i am confused i only have 5 fishes in the tank and i couldve sworn i read that i can go to as many as 6 to 7 fishes, perhaps i am wrong but again it was all fine until i did this water change

4. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

its not the amount of fish. its the size (mature) that matters. most of the fish you have should be in a minimum of 75 gallon and only have one of them. you need to have about a 125 or higher for them fish...

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

do you have a hydrometer? 1 1/2 cups of salt. you need to know your specific gravity. look over to the left and find calculators and go to fish capacity. it tells you a rough estimate of inches of fish you can have. try to think of them when you estimate like they are grown, because they will grow fast. Tangs and Angels really should not be in 55 gallon tanks. 70-75 is minimum and that just for one. It also depends on the tyope of fish. Some eat less and eat algae from the tank, some are meat eaters and it's also about how much the poop.

6. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

Should match your gravity of your tank... most use 1/2 cup per gallon of water. ...
    What type of water do you put in it. RO? Tap? or Distilled.... THis matters too.

7. newbie

newbie Bristle Worm

maybe six small fish not fish that will shortly out grow your tank and not all those fish at one time in a tank this new read before you by you've been warned by every body the fish store is obl in it to make a dollar they don''t care about the fish just getting your money $$$ and asume that you'll be in to by more fish when these die..

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Actually, you need a heck of a lot more than a 125. Naso Tang's really shouldn't be in anything less than a 250. I don't know if I could even keep one in my big tank permanently.

The cloudiness in your water is most likely a serious bacterial bloom from having way too much fish way too early. At two months you should really only be just getting started stocking the tank. And having the stocking list of a 150-250 gallon tank isn't going to help that matter.

10. SP5689

SP5689 Banned

puffer for at least 4 weeks, maroon clown, blonde naso and angel for 3 weeks, yellow tang yesterday...

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

you need to check you SG ....if you added 1 1/2 cup salt in for 5 gallon you probably did not add enough...for 5 gallons should have added 2 1/2 cups. Should always check SG before adding it cause it does not always corralate. You should match you SG to the water in your display tank.

Rapid swings in your SG can cause fish stress and/or death

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Well, well, well. Yup. I am with these fine folks. Tangs back to the LFS. I have a 90 and am seriously on the fence about adding a second tang that is on the small side. They need room to swim. There are those who believe that tangs shouldn't be in tanks less than 72" long. Minimum tank size for the DFP is 90g. And angels will just flat out get too big.

The maroon clown is OK to keep. It only gets to about 7 inches. But, by the book, the maximum number of inches that your tank can safely hold is 17". And that is upper range IMO. I, personally, wouldn't stock a 55g with anymore than 13".

It's not just about poop in the tank. It's about oxygen availability.

Also, if you do not have a refractometer, I suggest you get one. They are cheap---$30 on eBay with shipping will get you a good one. Aim for a good SG (I run 1.025) and keep it. Too much change up or down will stress the fish.

Good luck. I am not too happy with the people that sold you those fish if they knew the size of your tank.