1st Water Change

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by SP5689, May 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SP5689

SP5689 Banned

I am concerned, just did my first water change since my set up 2 months...but my water is still cloudy and my yellow tang is breathing really hard and is just laying there in the corner as is my angel fish. blonde naso tang, dogface puffer and my maroon clown fish look like they are hanging in there...my water was tested for everything and all is perfectly fine. dont know what to do with the cloudiness of the water and what to do with the fishes that are not looking right...

2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

2 Months and you have ALL that stock ? This will be a bumpy ride, hold on.
    Is it a white milky cloudiness ?
    Can you list all the test and numbers you are getting.

Too much too soon SP5689. You have the stock of a 1-2 year old tank. It is not ready yet.

1 person likes this.
  4. SP5689

SP5689 Banned

all of the stock was doing fine until i did this water change today and added a seaclone skimmer and taking out one of my emperor filters out to be replaced with this skimmer...amonia 0, ph 8.3, salt 1.024, nitrite 0,

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

6. SP5689

SP5689 Banned

yes, kindly disregard...i wasnt getting any feed back so i added it to the other one...sorry about that...

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The cloudy water could be caused by not allowing the salt to dissolve enough before doing the water change. How big of a water change did you do?

8. Click Here!

9. SP5689

SP5689 Banned

15 gallons on my 55 gallon tank...about 25%....i beleive that should be okay, just dont know why the tang and angel are breathing hard and the rest seem okay

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

as stated in above posts, wayyyy too much too soon.

However...the problem now!
    What was the temp and did you add buffer to the water change? What was the salinity of the water you added? When was the last time you did the actual test. How much of a water change did you do

What I would recommend (someone else might add something) is turn off the lights and let the fish recover. Could be very stressed due to the water change. Tangs tend to play possum when stressed.

Do you have any stress guard? Try adding that to your tank

I hope you dont have any corals in that tank as many of those fish are coral eaters.

Please dont add anything else for a while, I think you should actually remove half of them IMO!

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

WOAH! :-[:eek:
    those are all in a 55g tank? Those fish are WAY WAY to big for that tank. Period. You have to get rid of most of those fish...the dogface, the naso tang, and what kind of angel do you have....probably need to get rid of those.

Just cause things are ok now (at least in your eyes) those fish are STRESSED beyond belief and will get sick

12. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Along with taking all that back, I would actually ask for a refund and find a new LFS. Did they know what size and how new your tank was when they sold you all that livestock?? How long have the critters(fish) been in there?