1st time using coralife salt

Discussion in 'Salt' started by skiergd011013, Jan 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I would like a pictur of the bag... sounds weird but I bought some from pets mart and I think its coral life.

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

yeah petsmart carries it..

the salt is way better than a few years ago with the old owners..or something..the company changed and is somewhat now on a different path of making better products..

i like the salt, it does my tank well..i used to dose often using reef crystals and changed to coralife since people have been getting higher numbers..and it has been consistent for me as well..

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Yes, the salt has improved and is one of the best for calcium loving tanks IMO. I think the OPs numbers are off a bit though. Maybe refractometer wasn't calibrated? It does however have fairly high ca, alk and mg and is very low on some of the nuisance contaminants. Here is the awt salt review http://www.aqua-medic.com/aquariumwatertesting/AWT_Salt_Analysis_0208.pdf From what I understand, they tested at natural salinity levels of 53mS which is about 1.0264 s.g.

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

That study is from '08.

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Do you think they changed their formula since? Quite positive they haven't... When I said it's improved, I meant from many years ago. I believe Reef crystals did though, I would not go by that study for them.

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

A number of salts have changed since then. I'm curious because my local club is doing a group buy, and I have not been able to find out what the levels of the salt are. They are not listed on the Coralife website. Honestly, I haven't searched much beyond that. They don't list the levels, and recommend using a swing arm hydrometer. Doesn't give me much confidence.

So, do you know what the manufacturers specs are, and how do they compare to what you get?

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

hahaha. I wonder why that might be? ::)

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I don't have the manufactures specs, but when I've tested it, it's been in line with AWTs results. A lot of manufactures don't provide specs anymore unfortunately, I can't even find them for IO, they used to be right on the bag. I think once people publishing independent data, they decided it was safer just not to say anything :lol: However, that said CL has been great. I stopped using it recently because my closest lfs dosn't carry it and they have good prices on RC, but I liked CL a bit better. Especially for the price, but I'd have to drive a ways to get it now, or have the foresight to order online before I run out LOL.

11. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Thanks, Saintsfan & others. I think we'll give the CL a shot next time around. My other concern was nuisance contaminants, as well.

12. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

my params are consistent at 1.026: cal 530, alk 8, mag 1450

perfect numbers for my tank..and tried all salts and numbers were no where close..i agree the OPs params are a little off..