1st Tank Shots and Cup Corals

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Calawah, Mar 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Calawah

Calawah Astrea Snail

Well the tank has finally cleared enough for me to take some decent pics! There's one of my tank and two of the cup corals that came with my live rock.

The tank is a 58 gallon w/ an Aqua C Remora HOT protein skimmer, 1 modified tunze turbelle nanostream 6045 PH, and 2 194W PC fixtures. I also have an Odyssea all-in-one MH/PC fixture, but I need to change the bulbs and ballast before I run it.

I do have some questions about the cup corals. What do I need to do to keep them healthy while the tank goes through the cycle? I tested the water today (60lbs of LR went in 2 days ago, 7lbs went in 4 days ago) and I had 0 Nitrates and Nitrites, and 1PPM ammonia, so it looks like things are humming along as they should in the beginning of the cycle. Are these guys doomed by the nitrates to come? Do I need to feed supplements to them in any way? What are they? They look more like anemones to me, but are they LPS, or softies? Or neither? Any info about them would be great.

Thanks so much!:cheesy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Marty

Marty Stylophora

I think they look like Apstasia(sp) to me? I could be wrong though, I'm not great at ID'ing stuff.

Your tank is going to look great though. The sand and aquascaping look great!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

1 person likes this.
  5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Nice!

1 person likes this.
  6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Sweet pics!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. Calawah

Calawah Astrea Snail

So, I think I clicked on every photo on the saltcorner web site, to no avail! They kind of looked like a couple of the species there, but no definitive matches. The site is a great resource though, thanks for the link.

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i saw them with orange tentacles at my LFS! they are not pests, if only i remember their name! ugh!

1 person likes this.
  10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Great looking tank!

Gonna be a real beauty once you get it loaded up. Go slowly.

Catch ferry and come by and see me if you want some kenya trees...my tank is overgrown with them. ;D

Good luck.

Scott

(Silverdale, WA)

1 person likes this.
  11. Calawah

Calawah Astrea Snail

Cool, thanks Scott. I will definitely take you up on that, I live about 5 minutes away from the Fauntleroy ferry, and I drive through Silverdale all the time for work.

I'm planning on waiting at least a month before I add any corals. The tank seems to have stabilized a bit, I had 30ppm nitrates on Wednesday and 0 yesterday. I've put some caulerpa in the refugium, so it must have soaked some of the nitrates up!?!?

I added 17 snails yesterday, 10 Astrea, 4 Nassarius, and 3 Cerith.

I was also planning on ordering one of these before I put in any fish: Detritivore Products Page

Does anybody have some opinions on the benefits or drawbacks of these kits?

I am trying Dr. Ron's DSB style in my tank, and this looked like the best package I could find.

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sweet pics, thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this.