1st Coral stings can be deceiving!

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by MoJoe, Apr 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

So, this past weekend I received my first noticeable coral sting from my frogspawn. I've worked in my tank without gloves for the past 6 months, but usually use prongs and a rod to move/adjust. Well, I had my arm in the tank and brushed up against my frogspawn. I noticed a very slight red welt with some bumps. It didn't hurt at all but itched very slightly. In a few hours the welt had pretty much vanished with no ill effects.

The next day I was again working in the tank and again brushed the frogspawn with my arm. This time when I pulled my arm out I immediately noticed about 20-30 bumps/welts and intense intching. There was no pain, but as the day progressed the bumps/welts got a bit larger/redder/much itchier. I ran it under hot water & soaked it in some vinegar which helped relieve the itching.

A day later my arm is fortunately doing much better. The welts have shrunken to just bumps and the itching is minimal.

Basically what I'm trying to say here is that like a bee sting or anything that you may have an allergy to. The first time you may be coral stung, you may have minimal reaction, but the 2nd time is usually the "actual" reaction if you are allergic/sensitive to it. I'm sure this may be common reef knowledge but I just wanted to remind anyone in case. Especially because after the first sting I thought "that's nothing" and if I was highly allergic, it could have been much worse.

I learned my lesson and am ordering arm-length gloves pronto!

Be careful out there reefers!

I've attached a pic of my arm as it looks right now & it's worlds better than it was yesterday thankfully.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Joe,

Each time you touch a Euphylliad, histamines will build up in your body making each subsequent interaction worse. Keep Benadryl on hand and wear gloves.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yikes!! Glad you're okay. Gloves, gloves, gloves!! :)

5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Man I need to get some gloves. I know I'm going to pay for it if I don't get some soon.

6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks inwall, that is very good info to know. I blindly never thought of coral stings like that but it makes perfect sense.

Thanks KC, I know metal glovessss for me :). I need to catch up on your thread, hope your fish are doing better, I've been away for a bit during Easter.

7. divott

divott Giant Squid

could you shows us what a third time looks like? :)

just kidding and dont do it. glad youre okay , and the reaction wasnt worse. and another warning , is when working with palys . wear gloves with them because of the palyotoxin. its very nasty and dangerous too. and if working with them out of the water, safety glasses might not be a bad idea either.

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

As requested, this is a pic after the 3rd time.

(NOTE: very graphic!)

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  10. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

lol, I had no idea that frogspawn could do that. I have brushed my hand across mine several times, very interesting.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It mainly depends if you're allergic to Euphyllia. I am. Joe clearly is too. Most people aren't.

1 person likes this.
  12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Aren't we lucky :(. I have definitely brushed up against them (frogspawn/torch) and touched them other times without any issues, I guess it has just built up slowly in my system.