19,000 Gal build... WOW....

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by elweshomayor, Jun 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

I've seen this thread a couple times, the way it's in an amphitheater makes it look like a public aquarium. although he keeps talking about a 5000 gallon refugium and a (big number, i forgot) fish farm. I would like to see those too :p

honestly, I would want to go snorkel in his tank lol. It's enough gallons that there could be schools and schools of all different kinds of fish and, if he's going that way tons of corals.
    This tank could be way more awesome but it has a ways to go.

2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

+1, kind of a waste of time and money if you ask me.

4. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I was not that impressed. ;D

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

It might be cool if it was some other shape than just a box...& not right next to the ocean... He's just copying what's directly behind him.

I would think I would also be worried about chemicals from the tank being put back into the ocean. Maybe the water volume difference is so great it doesn't matter, but that would be a concern of mine.

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well any chemicals you can put into a tank should be harmless to the ocean.. ( as what ever you put into your tank should be safe for your fish/coral)
    i would be more worried the other way around... nutrients and other living things coming from the ocean to his tank..

if he ever fully stocks that tank.. and something really unwanted goes through.. it can really make a hit on the tank of that magnitude.

7. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I don't like the whole taking from the ocean idea. Cause that seems like cheating to me. If he's taking from the ocean, why even bother with live rock? It just seems if he put more thought time and effort into it, it'd be much cooler. I've seen better public aquarium tanks than that, and I know for a fact they were cheaper than his as well. :lol:

Also, what's the point of putting a marine tank next to the ocean? And only putting fish and water into the tank that you find in your back yard? One of the coolest things about my reef at home is that I'm nowhere near the ocean. Let alone nowhere near the Pacific, which is where alot of my stuff comes from. That just adds to the awesomeness of the tank.

What he did is similar to me building an aquarium next to the Tennessee River and putting catfish, bass, and sunfish in it. It's boring if you're only using what right next to you. I demand exoticness. Or at least some effort :p

But it still is a pretty cool tank if I do say so myself. It just has alot more that could be done to it.

8. Click Here!

9. PierceEye

PierceEye Aiptasia Anemone

My business partner lives just outside of Dubai...not all the real eastate is outragous.......a nice 2400SFT place can be had for under $300k

Here is a vidoe of his tank right after setup...YouTube - Diving Trip (HD)

Oh and FYI the town where this man lives in not a part of the oil Emirates...from what I read over the past 3 freaking hours is his family is in the fishing business which is a very lucrative business there.....remember there main diets are fruits and fish...with great spices.
    The oil Emirates are in the west Abu Dhabi etc.

Also if you look at some of his build pictures he has a nice private boat (yacht) looks in the area of about a 50footer

I have dove in several parts of the surrounding UAE, Gulf of Oman, Persian gulf and the Red Sea when I was in Jordan last year

some of it looks like the Gulf of Mexico and others like the Florida Keys except for parts of the Red Sea..now we are talking like Indonesia, Phillippines or even some parts of the Great Barrier Reef

10. PierceEye

That tank has not even been full of water for more than a month....if you read the majority of the chain he will be adding tons of LR and Coral...those fish you are seeing in the tank now are more or less "break in fish"

And no I am not Middle Eastern LOL...just give the guy a break...he has been working this for over 6 months and is like maybe half way with his project

11. PierceEye

He has a saltwater well right next to his fuge....he is currently and I mean in the last few weeks started 80 % of the filtration/input output pumps an only one 7000gal circulation pump....he has some HUGE sirculation pumps and then several spot cisrv pumps to add.....he is also building about 250 gals of surge tanks that will double as seating abouve the tank!

Yes I read from post 1 to over 900 posts tonight as I was mezmerized to say the least!

It takes balls to do that for a private tank.;)

12. PierceEye

He has pics of his fuge and fish farm he calls a fish spa LOL...cool design other than I think i would have given the DT a little more design as like wavey or something....once this baby is broken in and clear water i will still be jealous LOL