150 watts

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by billrwilson, Sep 27, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Yes, I was really agreeing with you ;) More than one way to skin a cat, I always say!

2. Click Here!

3. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

nobody ever answered my question should i buy the 260 watt pc fixture or the single 150 metal halide pendant.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  4. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

1 of the 2 would be added to a 130 watt pc fixture for the lighting instead of what i have

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, lots of folks gave you some of the differences in the types of lighting and advice on what to look for in a light. There is no "wrong or right" lighting. It depends on what you are planning on keeping in your tank and how long your tank is.

Your tank is too long for just one MH bulb , IMHO.

150 W PC is not all that much either.

What are you planning to keep in the tank? :)

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

If this is for your 75 gallon tank?? One metal halide pendant is really not enough to cover the whole tank, unless it placed way too high for it to do any good :p
    I would go with the pc lighting and have a good mix of 10k whites and actinics.
    Place them on seperate outlets or timers so you can simulate dawn to dusk conditions. :)
    Unless of course you want to get 2 metal halide pendants :eek: The rule of thumb for light coverage is 1 light for two feet of tank, that's why I suggested going with the Compact flourescents.
    Jim

7. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

ok i guess im going with the pc lighting cause i cant afford 2 halides. this will be my new lighting----1 48" pc fixture will have 130 watts of actinics(2 65watt bulbs 1 power cord for timer) the other 48" pc fixture will be 260 watts of 10000k(4 65watt bulbs 2 power cords for timers). how does this sound?

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What's all the gonna cost Bill?
    I am curious how that would compare price-wise to a T5 setup or a halide retrofit. The difference might not be that much.

10. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

i already have the 130 watt fixture and im getting the 260 watt fixture for $200.00

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

hmmm.. well just looking at SaltyCritter sponsor you can get a dual halide 10k 250 watt halide retrofit for $289 or a 216 watt T5 fixture for $259.

There's gotta be more out there... I'll try to take a look around this weekend.

Anyway 390 watts of PC on a 75 would be 5.2 watts per gallon so you could definitely go that route.

Think about replace costs of all those pc bulbs though before you pull the trigger.. if you replace bulbs twice a year that can add up fast.

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Right, MH can go for a year, possibly longer w/o changing bulbs...

You have not answered the question of what you want to keep in the long run as far as animals. If clams or sps, I would def consider MH or T-5's ;)