150 watts

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by billrwilson, Sep 27, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

is there a differance between 150 watts of 10000k compact florecents and a 150 watt 10000k metal halide? are they equal in brightness and color?

2. Click Here!

3. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

Yes 10000k compact will have a similar color to 10000k metal halide, however metal halide is much more penetrating than any other form of lighting, for one reason light from a metal halide originates from a single point like a spot light so it is able to penetrate into the depts of your tank. CF and other forms of flourescent lighting emit light across a larger area for instance a 36" bulb emits light along the full 36" so it is not as intense.

Alot of people have metal halide, but also have CF or VHOF to supplement.

So in short yes the color is the same, the brightness is substantially different with metal halide since its being emitted from a single point.

Metal Halide is as close to simulating the sun as you can get.

Hope this helps some.

Sean

4. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

ok thanks. here is what i have a chance to get. 260 watts of compacts in 1 fixture or a 150 watt metal halide round pendant light. which ever i get will be added to a 130 watts compact fixture. which would be better to get? the set up with the compacts would be the 150 fixture all actinics. the 260 watt fixture all 10000k or the metal halide.

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ya i wanted to change from pc to mh...but i would fry all my softies..i guess i have 2 stay with montis :)

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I would guess there is a difference in P.A.R. between the two with halides being higher, but I don't recall ever seeing direct comparisons between the two.

7. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

I use bothtypes of set up see sig. I am beginning to feel from an opperating stand point that trying to grow coral with just pc is down right expensive as far as bulb life and cost of electricity
    1) they burn longer each day
    2) It takes a lot more pc To get a good par value
    3) Replacement cost About $65 for 65 watt pc Vs.$89 !50 watt t type
    4) I have have seen Pc shift color in about 3 mos

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Skenelly "however metal halide is much more penetrating than any other form of lighting"
    Not exactly 4x24 watt T-5HO will out penetrating a 150W MH reliably. I have seen a couple people run the PAR test. All this while using 40% less electricity. Things are changing.

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I must admit , I just got a frag of blue acro from a fella who is running T5's and it is absolutely stunning! He did place a great emphasis on the right reflectors. His set up was not any less costly than the MH's

I believe a standard PC will colorshift quicker than MH (which have demonstrated no color shift or PAR reduction over a three year period in some cases)

I believe Amcarrig runs on completly VHO's and her corals are beautiful.

Any recommendation should be based on the size of tank and what you want to keep in the tank ;D

11. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

Thats a good point

12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Good reflector help ANY lighting technology. IceCap now makes the SLR refectors for T-12 too. I am just pointing out that like 20 years of reefkeeping dogma are quickily become outdated.