150 gallon tank crash!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by GAZBO, Jul 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

Ok I been gone since the 4th everything was ok looking great when I got home yesterday afternoon I added a little mag. then later that evening I added c- balance been fighting low KH and calcium and then when I got home from work this evening all my corals and anemones are shriveled up not looking good at all I am in the process of changing 30 gallons now and my wife is finishing the water test here is what I have so far
    sal. 1.025
    PH 8.4
    calcium 370
    KH 6.1
    ammonia 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 0
    phosphate .02

I see that the mag is really high and I should of not added any its been a very low so I have been adding half dose of salifferts once a week and last tested it was 1200 would the dose I gave yesterday have caused this? is there hope with water changes can I save everything all the stonies are looking really bad

Like I said I have been battleing low KH and calcium I dont think that would cause a crash this fast but not familiar with mag.

Please Help

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Water changes seem like the most prudent measure to take at this moment.

What salt mix are you using?

I do not see a mag level?

4. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

magnesium is really high at 1560 and I am using Neo Marine from brightwell aquatics for salt

5. Corailline

With the information provided, you probably stressed everything by raising the the magnesium so quickly. The value of 1560 is not dire if you brought it up slowly, a quick change from 1200-1560 is too much of a swing in 24 hours or less.

How are your snails looking?

I tend to think you did not do permanent damage but only time will tell.

Perhaps test the newly made up salt mix to see what the mag level and ca level is before you put it in the display. If you are doing routine water changes your mag should not be that low, you might need to look at another salt mixture.

6. Corailline

Forgot to add, technically you should not exceed 100 ppm in 24 hours.

Corals tend to bleach with overdoses but not die, snails are usually the first to die from a magnesium over dose.

7. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

snails and inverts look fine fish are swimming and happy my brittle stat is out the stony corals look bleached especially the birds nest the leather are all shriveled and then all my zoas and misc. button polyps closed and all three misc. anemones are closing and looking terrible/ The hammer heads looks ok the sun coral is out and healthy duncan is fine then mushrooms look stressed.

Do you think this is do to the mag or something else My wife tested the mag and she never done it before so there could be a small error she said it took her three tries to get it right. I just retested after the 30 gal. water change and its at 1400 now

Should I do another water change in the morning or wait until I get home from work. I am making more water right now but I dont want to cause anymore stress by doing to much. is 1400 safe until I get home from work in the evening/

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

If it were my tank I would wait to do another water change, but that is a total judgement call. Sounds like a case of magnesium overdose if you are seeing bleached corals.

If the snails are doing fine you might be in the clear.

You might want to check your temp to rule that out.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

A 1400 Magnesium level is not of any concern however as Corailine has stated its the raising of it too fast that is. I would probably try to slowly raise your Calcium and Alkalinity. With your Mag. at 1400 it should be easy to raise them to the proper levels.Just go slow!!!

11. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

Thanks for our help I will mix the water in the morning and change it when I get home from work. wife has the day off and can keep an eye on it until I get home.

as far as temp goes its been during the day at about 79 + or - a degree but I did notice it was at 77.8 before I went to bed so I raised the heaters tonight so it should more stable. I have 2 250W MH and 4 96W compacts for lighting so if the AC turns off then temp. will raise to 80 but normally stay around 79 but it was about 105 today so the ac isn't turning off anytime soon. lucky the tank is in my basement where its cooler

12. Brownie

Brownie Flamingo Tongue

I wouldn't rush into changing the temp just yet. I mean you have to realize that we are in the middle of the summer and there are a few things that can affect the tank and its current temp state. Air conditioners, fans, and ceiling fans can alter the temp particularly in an open top tank. As for being at 77.8° I wouldn't stress that just yet! I personally feel that its better to be a bit low than a bit high. If your a little low such as your case your not going to run the risk of melting your coral.

I think you have a handle on the situation and I think with a little time things will work out. I also wanted to add that I believe Corailline was trying to have you test your Mag levels of the water you were mixing up to do your water changes this would also help determine if your salt that your using to mix could be causing problems. Heck I'd probably test Cal, PH, and Alk just to see for future references.

I'm not expert! Just my thoughts.