150 gal Stocking?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Cantra, Apr 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cantra

Cantra Plankton

I recently got a 150 gallon aquarium but I have no idea what fish to get for it... Something at least 3-4 inches would be nice it has to be colorful because of the fact that its staying in a daycare. We don't want to have anything thats so aggressive that it'll kill anyother fish we keep with together. We want more than a couple fish so nothing extremely large. Also since there are three of us doing the tank one person wants to get shrimp so that kind of limits what we can have so any help would be nice.

Goldfish are a no go because of the fact that the director wants different fish not stuff you'de see in just about any old tank.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Welcome to 3 reef cantra

a 150 gallon freshwater set up sounds excellent to me

for medium sized fish that are not aggressive - I suggest Dwarf Gouramis - the male is colourful in my opinion - most of the Gourami species - Blue, pearl, lace etc are great community fish that dont get to large

other good community fish would be

Neon or Cardinal Tetras - these are very colourful and a shoal of 20 or so is a great sight IME

glowlight tetras
    harlequin fish

Danios - zebra, pearl etc are another shoaling fish that are active in the upper water layers mostly

plecostomus suckermouth catfish are algae eaters and pose no threat to even small fish
    the Panaque is a nice choice as is the Golden Nugget

Corydorus catfish - would be great for tidying up any missed food as they scavenge the gravel bed and lower layers

if your looking for something more species orientated then a 150 gallon tank would be great for Discus fish IME

Some of the dwarf Chichlid species - Ramirez , Kribinsis and others are also very colourfull
    but you need to be carefull as some of these get large enough to eat some of the smaller tank mates if you have them in a community type set up

angel fish - plenty of colour varieties these days, golds, pinks, half black, lace etc
    again as they grow they can mistake smaller tank mates for food

hope the above gives you some ideas

a trip to the LFS , deciding what fish you like the look of and then learning about their needs/ requirements , would be my next step in your postion

Steve

4. MaroonClownFish

MaroonClownFish Astrea Snail

I would say fancy goldfish. They, for the most part, get along very well and will have the kids in awe when they beg for food. They are also very active if you take good care of them. 150 gallons would be a great size for them. You can get some nice, inexpensive ones that are very ornamental from PetsMart. The good ones they sell are priced at $27 +/- usually. You do not really want to get their younger ones, as many of them have parasites. Goldfish, for the most part, are easy to take care of. They will all get along. However, steer clear of the Ryukin, they are more aggressive goldfish.

:)

5. Cantra

Cantra Plankton

I know that the director of the daycare would like to have some angel fish so i guess everything we get has to go around them. I know they can be agressive but I've really only seen agressin in smallish tanks so I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea with any fish that might be smaller

6. Cantra

Cantra Plankton

I talked to the director and she said that she would prefer something with angelfish in it so any ideas concerning that would be very nice

7. Cantra

Cantra Plankton

Thanks for the help everyone has given me... I'm still looking around but there has been good ideas

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Angel fish are not out and out bullies to other species IME, Cantra

like any fish they sometimes resent the presence of their own kind
    especially when they are ready to breed , a pair that has formed will make the lives of any tank mates difficult - but having said that I had a pair of Angels lay eggs and protect those eggs in a 3ft community tank of medium sized fish

good tank mates are
    Kribinsis , Rams and other medium sized chichlids
    tetras that are to big for their mouths are also OK

any thing that wont fit into their mouths would be good with Angels IME

Steve