15-20ppm nitrate drop overnite possible?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Night-Rida, Mar 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well I did it! finally 0 nitrates! Tank was as high as 80-100 months ago.. within last 10 days have put some mangroves & chaeto and a 120w 5000k CFL flood bulb in yesterday for them. tested my nitrates last night and they have been around 20ppm, looked at my skimmer and it skims alot last nite intoi this morning. now just tested my nitrates and they are zero or within 1ppm of zero.

is this possible to drop 20ppm over nite? I did also dose a very small bit of vodka last night as Ive been doing this over last 9 weeks, and planed on stopping any further..but maybe little here or there.

My thoughts are because I upgraded to good 120w CFL light over my mangroves/chaetos in my sump they probly sucked alot of nitrates out of the water? also I didnt feed fish last night, and will only feed probly every 2-3 days from now on.. so whats everyones thoughts? possible?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It is possible if everything is working at top efficiency when your sources of nitrates are not producing.

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I believe everything is working 100%. cleaned my skimmer 100% inside & out 3 days ago.. alot of skimmate in cup this morning, more than usual.

I will re check nitrates here again soon..

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

A good cleaning of detritus hiding places will definitely help. If you have an oversized skimmer it will vary in its activity. Also the cleaning may have increased its efficiency.

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

it did, there was clear skum inside main chamber.. so whirlpool was effected there. and inside bottom of main chamber was crap=nitrates.. and my pump was crappy inside.. also cleared out airlines and such.. I didnt really scrub, but blasted the skimmer parts with water hose outside.. got it very clean..

7. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

the pH swing at night may have contributed to it

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That must have really helped with those nitrates.

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

ph swing lowers nitrate readings? please explain..

:confused: