14000k T8 for softies

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by nanomania, Jun 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

i am getting a 14000k T8 2ft long 20watt, my tank hight is 18" 2ft long. will it work or should i buy high output led?

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The t8 will not work well. you do not need LEDs either. Are t5HO fixtures available where you are?

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I agree, T-8s are not the ideal option, but can work if your really on a budget. How many T-8s? Just 1? Or do you mean 1 fixture? In the past, lots of people kept softie tanks with T-8s, but you will probably need a fixture with multiple bulbs. 4 would probably be ideal and would allow you to keep a fair amount in that tank. You could keep some corals with 2, but you'd be pretty limited. Also, you will need to make sure it is the correct spectrum. Bulbs sold at home depot and such, will be way too yellow. You'll want at least 10000K bulbs, with a few bluer 20000K or maybe an actinic mixed in don't over do the actinics though, they do not really help corals grow, they are jut for looks mostly). It ls not the most energy efficient option these days, but it can work, if your on a budget and are happy with basic corals, such as GSP, mushroom corals, zooanthids etc...

T-5s would be much better, and have come way down in price. If you have a T-8 and don't have money for a new fixture, don't feel that means you can't start a tank though.

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

as stated, t8's are just not good to grow antyhing, i believe you would be better off with even power compact but preferably t5 halide or some high powered led's.

6. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

If you can't get anything else try overdriving them with a IceCap ballast?

7. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I disagree with this,no they won't support sps or other high light demanding coral.I ran 2 10k powerglo t8 bulbs on my first sw tank (a 55) for close to a year with easy softies and they did great,lots of growth.I went with low light corals due to a tight budget,but i had gsp,anthelia,kenya,xenia,mushrooms and some button polyps that all did well,also had good coralline growth.However,for anything more than these weed type beginner corals,i would recommend better lights.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Actually not just "weed-type" softcorals really, even some LPS corals will be fine Acan lords, challice corals, fungia, some brain coras, such as maze brains or trachyphyllia. Some may even do better under low light, but you are more limited.

10. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

fully agree m2434 ;),i now have some colorful zoas that i have to hide under ledges from my t5's to keep them happy and colored up.

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

but they are just not the best choice for a reef tank, a t5 lamp is around the same cost and is much more efficient for growing mostly all corals.

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Why does he need halide or LEDs? The OP just wants softies. Talk about overkill.