14 gallon Oceanic Biocube

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mrbanggai101, Oct 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mrbanggai101

mrbanggai101 Astrea Snail

Hey all, so my 14 gallon Biocube has suffered some heat issues lately and I set out to find out why. I found that the vents for one of my lighting fans has melted plastic blocking it! I really need help with this one. What should I do? Thanks in advance for helping.

2. Click Here!

3. mrbanggai101

BTW, the plastic is hardened. I think it was kept in a window or something before I got it, or had some problems during our move from Ohio to Florida.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I've had issues with heat in my biocube as well so I removed the lid completely and put up an led light. There are other methods as well. Search biocube threads on here for great ideas

mrbanggai101 likes this.
  5. mrbanggai101

I've been thinking of LEDs. My white light just died, so right now would be a good opportunity to retrofit.

6. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

If you have a lid, take it off. Just make sure to keep the tank topped off with water, because taking off the lid will make the tank's water evaporate faster. As said by DSC, go with LEDs. They're more expensive from the start, but you "never" have to change the bulbs, and they give off far less heat! They make fixtures that are specifically for cubes, so you should be able to find something. If the tank's temp needs to go down asap, fill a ziploc bag with ice and hang it inside the tank