130 gal tank, lighting questions.

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Dioxin, Oct 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dioxin

Dioxin Plankton

Hello all, I recently upgraded from a 90gal to 130 and lighting thus far has been a bit of a learning curve, hopefully you all can get me back on the right track.

I have a freshwater set up with nothing other than java moss planned (or with my aggressive fish... allowed lol) My 90 light was just a single tube with two fans that came on with it, pretty straight forward. I bought a used 6ft corallife, with 3 fans and blue led, all on separate cords / power switches. It houses 4 bulbs (dual bulbs so 8 bulbs total) 3 were burnt out and 1, 6700k / 96 watt / 34 inch (50/50) power connecter, brand new. He said he paid $100 for it and being Canadian, seems about right.

My questions are: Umm where can I get cheaper bulbs lol even on ebay they are expensive and not well stocked. White is easy enough to find but 50-50 blue 32-36inch (10k is overkill) is difficult. Are there cheaper and more readily available options? I provided a picture of my square power connector but could I not buy two singles (1 white 1 50/50) as I'm not looking to run the full 4 / 8 or is it 4 prong for a reason?

Next: The fans: I don't have a tank hood and there is plenty of room for air to get under the housing, setting up a timer can I have say 1 hr on 1 hr off or should the fans be on the whole time the lights are?

Finally: 3 of the 6 blue LeD's have stopped working, I can buy a couple LED's and resodder new ones in but the 3 that are working don't seem very bright, it seems unlikely the 6 will give the blue nightlight effect I'm looking for. Are there bright LED's that I can buy or would getting a few of the LED strip lighting off ebay save me a ton of aggravation?!

I just snapped these pics quickly, haven't had a chance to properly clean the light but thank you all in advance

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi and Welcome to 3reef.

bump for lighting information.

4. Dioxin

Dioxin Plankton

Thanks and -bump- Please =)

5. sceia

sceia Astrea Snail

Check out the ecoxotic stunner strips...