12DX Nano Cube mod to increase fuge.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Nano12, May 1, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nano12

Nano12 Plankton

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]I just received my new 12dx Nano Cube and was pondering on how I was going to use the back as a refugium. So I need help on this one.

I was thinking of removing the sump area and moving it forward about an inch and removing the compartment dividers and making my own.
    Does anyone know the material that they used for the back compartment, is it ABS plastic? Anyway, I was also going to try make my own back from black Acrylic and design my overflow slots and compartments to optimise the space in the back for a refugium.

Is this a good idea or am I on crack?
    [/font]

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

um i think ur on crack :) lol...no ur not...but they might be hard since they r made like that...if u wanted to widen the sump u would need to glue the plastic to the glass...thats not good eats :)

4. NUHTTY

NUHTTY Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

In my experience, fooling with the construction of these things is NOT a good idea.

Work with the space they gave you or do a separate sump/fuge and plumb it into the tank.

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

;D You sound creative! Why not build your own?

6. TEPOZ_AZTLAN

TEPOZ_AZTLAN Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

You should visit nanoreef.com there you will find all kind of ideas from another nano refeers, I also have a 12 gal dx, and you can leave it as it is all you need is a couple of lb of LR ruble (smallest you can find), you may need to adapt a source of light on top of sump like a 13 watts pc, then get some macro algae and your set. This is just one of the many options, but you can always make your own lol.
    Good lock w/ your cube, they rock :2thumbsup

7. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    i have a customer/friend that has done that. im going to be no help but, ive only seen pics. he wont give me exact details (that greedy bastard) anyway he has a light for the fuge and a fan to cool it. if i get any more info ill let you know.