125Gal stand build, need advice!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Toallhisdoom, Sep 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Ok so here is a design for my stand.
    Green=2x6
    Red=2x4
    Hope its not 2 confusing!

First question: Will the front of the stand be ok with no support?
    2nd q: How tall should I make the stand?
    Q 3: How many doors should I have?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

4. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

You can look at mine under my post 75gal upgrade. It's still just the skeleton, I haven't enclosed it yet. I used 4x4's and 2x6's for everything. Pressure treated on the 4x4. My height was 36" for the stand. It just worked out that way to where I can still reach my arm in the tank to move things without using a step stool.

edit: Your pic of the design looks just like my stand except mine is 48" and yours is 72"

5. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

Google diy aquarium stand calculator. The 2x6 will be ok without a center brace across a 6ft span upto 150g, But i like 2x8 for the peace of mind and the fact that you may upgrade!

6. Toallhisdoom

Well I built basically this exact stand for my 75 gal! But wow face I love that idea of removable doors! Deff adding that idea in! Think I am going to put 2 2x6 in the front. 1ft in from each end so there is still a 4ft opening in middle. Then build shelves on each side in the 1ft are! Gonna be sweeet

Here's updated plan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  7. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I built my 75 gallon stand out of 3/4 red oak and no 2x4s. My tank is supported by the ends of the oak. If you look at how the stands are built that aquarium manufacturers sell to you they are built the same way using cheap pine and staples. I use pocket screws and gorilla glue. Stand is super strong....I don't like to use 2x4s, cuts to much into the interior cabinet space and don't find it necessary.

8. Click Here!

9. Toallhisdoom

Hmm. I do have how the 2x4s take up interior space. But for larger then 75gal tanks dont they sell beefier stands?

10. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to be taking down the 75 and building a stand for my 180 I ordered.
    Here's my material...

[​IMG]

11. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Stand for a 75 or a 210 is the same from manufacturer. Same staples and crap pine just bigger.

12. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I think beefy is good, overbuilt gets there quickly as well. I have a plywood stand with 125 gallon tank on it.

Attached Files: