125g stand question (pics added)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by bmw112482, Aug 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmw112482

bmw112482 Plankton

Hi everyone I just recently bought 125g with the stand and canopy the guy I bought it from built the stand himself. It has (2) 2x4 screwed together for the top frame all the way around and the same for the legs and has legs in the center as well. My question is can I take out the center legs ? I have read that you can run a single 2x6 across for the top frame and not not need center bracing. Would the (2) 2x4 be sufficient with no center bracing?

Dimensions 72x18x21

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

It's hard to visualize the stand without pics, so please post some.

4. bmw112482

bmw112482 Plankton

At work right now will post pics as soon as I get home

Maybe this helps its pretty much like having a 4x4 for the top frame just two 2x4's screwed together

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  5. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

You don't want fasters to be load bearing. If the 2 2x4's are supported underneath by a flush 4x4 that goes straight to the floor it may be ok, but we need pics.

6. bmw112482

bmw112482 Plankton

None of the fasteners are load bearing the (2) 2x4's rest on top of the 4x4 legs

7. bmw112482

bmw112482 Plankton

I'm trying to upload pics using tapatalk but it keeps telling me that there is a security error (user might not have permission to access that feature) then its says contact forum administrator if the problem persist

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

72 inches is a long span for 2x4s. The double 2x4s won't really help that much. I don't think I would take the center leg out. Why are u wanting to remove it?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

10. bmw112482

bmw112482 Plankton

Bigger sump! The tank is not set up yet so i was just trying to expand my options. As it is right now I can't fit anything longer than 30" on each side
    I can get a 55g for free I was going to make it into a sump if I could make it fit

11. Josh116

Josh116 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i wouldn't trust it. IMO you will run into issues with the top 2x4s bowing if you take out that brace.

I am a carpenter and when we are building houses any span over 36" requires larger lumber. you might be thinking "well its a tank cabinet not a house" but trust me that stand has alot of weight on it. with a house the weight is distributed over a large area, you have a little cube that weighs close to 1,000 lbs sitting on a wooden box.

if you add a 2x6 beside in 2x4s with jack studs directly under it on both ends, then also figure out how large you want the doors (most likely just over 4' wide) and add jack studs to both the 2x6 and 2x4s you will be fine.

If that seems like more work then you want to get into then you could also just open up then end of the stand and slide the sump in from the side. add doors to the front (if they are not already there) and you will have access from the front. you will just have to use the side door to get the sump in and out. This way you could leave the structure of the stand the way it is.

but i agree. pics would help alot.

Hope this helps, and if there is anything else I can help out with just let me know

12. bmw112482

bmw112482 Plankton

would it be ok if I just offset the center brace? the longest span would be 36"

Attached Files: