125 gallon lighting question

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by nomad9646, Jan 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nomad9646

nomad9646 Astrea Snail

Hi I am in the process of getting all my supplies together for my 125 that will be here this week.I ordered 72" lights and was wondering if these will be okay for soft corals and my fish.These are72" 384W PL Aquarium Light LCD Timer Compact Fluorescent Actinic Lamp Coral Reef

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also ordered 180lbs of this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    180 LB PURE WHITE ARAGONITE LIVE REEF SAND

So sorry if photos are too large.And one more question.I kinda wanna do the foam and macro rock background what tools do I need for that.Thank you.I just wanna do this right the second time around.

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I'd say that's enough for Lps and softies. Idk about sps though.

1 person likes this.
  4. nomad9646

nomad9646 Astrea Snail

Okay thank you.I just had to get something other than a stock lighting system.Thank you.

5. SwimsWithFish

No problem! You might want to check with the member 2in10
    He's the light guru around here I believe.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

What are PL bulbs?

7. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Those power compacts are pretty inefficient bit will work for softies, I would go with a t5 setup it will give you more options as far as bulb combos and coral.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

Those compacts would be plenty for Lps if they were placed at the top.

10. nomad9646

nomad9646 Astrea Snail

I plan on getting better lights in the long run but what happened was my 55 gal got cracked so I am upgrading and need to buy the sand and new lights.I have spent close to 600 so far.Thats why I went with these lights for the moment.I am planning on selling my ts for my 55 gallon to fund for new t5 but in the mean time I needed something for my softies.Also can someone write me a list of the foam and epoxy and everything else to do one of those foam backkgrounds?Thank you all for your help!!

11. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

If your planning to upgrade lighting in the future your going to spend more buying this fixture now and then upgrading later. Also my understanding is that PC light bulbs are more expensive to replace (although I have never owned a PC fixture)

12. nomad9646

nomad9646 Astrea Snail

Thats very true.But I just spent alot for the tank(500 for tank and stand),sand (217.80 for 180 lbs of sand),and still have to build a sump and refugium.So I looked for good lights that would save me a little money now.Until I can get my wallet a little bigger.