125 gallon causing cracking in stand

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by charlie26, Feb 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. charlie26

charlie26 Flamingo Tongue

so my friend just called me worried. he has a 125 fw setup thats been running for a few weeks. given that its 100 year old house the floor isnt very level and it took quite a while to get the tank level. but now the stand is cracking (vertically) and we need to figure out a way to get it better quick. so i looking for any suggestions. thanks in advance everyone.

2. Click Here!

3. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

ouch, i would drain as much water as you can into tubs, then try to reinforce the stand?
    its hard to say, can you tell where the flaw is causing the cracking?

1 person likes this.
  4. charlie26

too hard to tell right now. but like i said the floor isnt even remotely level. any ideas on how we could level it out? i just talked to him and he got tomorrow off work so i guess were gonna do what we can tomorrow.

5. charlie26

i found a thread that i think will work. but thanks again for the advice.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

7. boostednlinefor

boostednlinefor Fire Worm

Paper! Believe it or not it makes an excellent shim. It’s dirt cheap, can easily be made in to whatever shapes and thicknesses you want, light and leaves no permanent damage under the stand.

Just put your stand in place with a long level on top of it. Using whatever as temporary shims, prop up the end/side until the stand is perfectly level. Grab a stack of fresh white paper, a pencil, scissors and some tape of your choice. Slide a single piece of paper under the stand and trace a template from the outside edge of the stand, to the inside edge of the wood that contacts the floor. Next, slide a small stack of paper in the gap between the stand and your floor, increasing the thickness till it’s tight. Then use that template to cut out that shape from that stack. Use a little tape around the edges to hold your shim together. Repeat until all gaps are filled and stand remains level. Keep your shim lengths short, depending on the slope of the gap you’re filling. Mine were 2-5” long.

The stand is now perfectly level with shims filling 100% of the gap and any stand deflection is completely eliminated. Paper has excellent compressive properties and can bear more weight then you could ever throw on it.