125 FOWLR stocking

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by iLLwiLL, May 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

i was going to stay away from puffers as i heard there super messy eaters and can easily cut powerhead cords. that eel is frikkin gorgeous, can i keep 2 different kinds of moray's in the same tank?

~Will.

2. Click Here!

3. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Puffers are clean eater's compared to your eels and trigger's you want ;)

5. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Must get a harlequin tusk. I am almost willing to set up another tank just for one.

6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

SWEET!!, that guy just made the list

i had no idea triggers and eels were messy . . . i figured the eel would just swallow everything, and the trigger would nip but get every piece.

that harlequin tusk is a beaut and this list is getting big fast . . . i forsee better filtration and possibly more large tanks in my future ;D

so far i'm at :
    Miniatus Grouper
    V. Lion Fish
    Clown Trigger
    Zebra Eel
    Marine Betta
    harlequin tusk

that sound like a fun tank, or will it be too much?

~Will.

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I don't know about stocking, but I am glad to see my suggestion made the list! Sounds like a pretty fun tank until they grow up.

m. grouper - 14"
    v. lionfish - 15"
    clown trigger - 20"
    zebra eel - 60"
    m. betta - 8"
    h. tusk - 10"

*max sizes from live aquaria

I know inches of fish is pretty useless rule of thumb but thats 127" of fish.

Not counting the zebra eel because its pretty skinny compared to the other fish you have 5 1/2' of fish in a 6' tank.

I think you will be alright as long as you get them as juvis with the understanding that you may have to get rid of a few as they grow.

8. Click Here!

9. LisaD

LisaD Astrea Snail

Hi, this is my first post on this site, but I'm active on some others, LisaD everywhere.

I have several aggressive tanks, including 210, 55, 44. I used to have a 125 in the 90s with a few big fish - great sized tank.

Some comments on your list:

Miniatus Grouper - good choice - also look into v-tailed grouper and black tip grouper (I have a black tip in my 210)

V. Lion Fish - great fish, but I would NOT keep it with a clown trigger - you need to choose between the two of them. These also get quite large, and may even outgrow a 125 eventually. They get 15" but are almost as wide as they are long. There are other choices that range from 7-10 inches.

Clown Trigger - beautiful fish, but they can become very aggressive and territorial as they get bigger. And they get around 18". You would have to upgrade your tank in a few years if you wanted one for life. Not compatible with a lion.

Zebra Eel - I have had mine for nine years, got him from Flying Fish Express at about 19 inches. He's now three feet. Great eel, never bothered a fish unless they were tussling over food. A few times he clamped down on a triggers head by accident.

Marine Betta - nice fish, but very passive. I have one in my 55 with a wolf eel blenny and some puffers. I would not recommend this fish for a tank with triggers or any aggressive fish or fast feeders.

harlequin tusk - a gorgeous if pricey fish. The Australian HT is worth the money over the indo. They are not aggressive, despite their sharp blue teeth. Can be beat up on.

My suggestions to you - don't get any more than two large (>12" adult size) and 2-3 medium (6-10" adult size) fish for your tank. Get them as juveniles in the 3-5" range, if possible. Also, if possible, limit yourself to fish that do not get bigger than 10-12" as adults. Any more, and you will be quite overcrowded. If you don't have good filtration, limit yourself further. You also need to take into account territoriality/compatibility/swimming needs. I guarantee your 125 gallon tank will start to look really small before you know it.

If you *must* have the volitans lionfish, I'd also get a zebra moray eel, harlequin tuskfish and a small grouper. Maybe also a medium sized angelfish or tang. But be preparted to rehome or upgrade for the lion.

If you *must* have a trigger, I suggest a smaller one than the clown trigger. Take a look at the Rhinecanthus triggers (picasso, bursa, rectangle, Assasi, etc.). They are colorful, with that trigger personality, but stay at around 8-12". I would not keep the lionfish with the trigger, but the other tankmates should be okay. Just add them first and get a smallish trigger, 3-5".

If you *must* have a trigger AND a lionfish, look into sargassum or blue throat triggers. They are the mellowest and are unlikely to bother a lionfish. I wouldn't consider any other trigger a good risk (with the exception of one or two other species in the same genus that get way too big). If you had a lion and a "peaceful" trigger, I would not get more than two other fish.

You'll need to have good filtration on a predator tank. They are bulky fish, and eat a lot, thus creating a lot of waste.

BTW, puffers are wonderful fish with great personalities. Dogface puffers don't get over 13" and are among the most peaceful. I have a dogface puffer, several sharpnose puffers and a boxfish. You could consider a puffer.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  10. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

wow, great info, thank you! got any input on a tesselata eel for this tank? i can get one for next to nothing, but not sure how he'll get along with anything else in the tank. the only thing i'm unsure about puffers is the tank is acrylic and i heard they can scratch the crap out of the tank . . . is this true?

~Will.

11. sharkyshark

sharkyshark Spaghetti Worm

in our 125 we had a black v lion (got rid of him b/c he was a very needy fish and would never come out), humu humu trigger, niger trigger, lunar wrasse, sailfin tang, and a bamboo shark (i do not condone getting a shark unless the 125 is 100% temporary and you are ready to make a pond for him once he gets larger (ours is a baby right now and he's just chillin :) )
    you just have to make sure everyone has food and their own hiding places
    GOOD LUCK!

12. LisaD

LisaD Astrea Snail

Will, I would not put a tess with any other fish. Definitely not for the community tank. They are known to eat their tankmates, and they get pretty good sized. I think you would need to have it be the only fish in the tank, or at best, with one other eel that could stand its ground.

I have glass tanks, and have heard mixed stories on puffers (and triggers!) in acrylic tanks. There isn't a much nicer puffer you can get than a dogface. Mine does not rub it's teeth on the glass. Here are some very poor pictures of mine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a better one from the seller:
    [​IMG]

If you want an eel, as long as the fish are pretty tough, you could consider a Brazilian dragon moray. They don't get over 30 inches, and while they will eat fish, they leave the big boys alone. BTW, mine bothers nothing BUT puffer fish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You mentioned wanting a small grouper. This is my black tip grouper:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The zebra moray eel I've had for about 9 years:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.