120 Gallon

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Bogie, Nov 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I saw a new 120 gallon Perfecto tank today at a LFS, 60"x18"x26". It was $390 with a light fixture (I assume a cheapo flourescent one), the big problem was it's not drilled w/ overflows, and the bottom is tempered glass :(. I guess I'll keep waiting on a 150 gallon for now.

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Looking to upgrade huh bogie?

4. jandree22

jandree22 Astrea Snail

Well, my 75 is tempered on the bottom and I just drilled the sides :) Kind of a crappy pic... drains are on the sides, return is split in the middle two. Got a cheapie diamond bit off of ebay, ran copious amounts of hose water while I was drilling, duct taped the immediate area, and spent 5 minutes grinding through each of the holes. Nerve wracking, but the thicker the glass, the less chance you have of screwing up. (I drilled through my thin 20g sump glass successfully, as well)
    [​IMG]

That Fish Place (Lancaster, PA) is local to me, obviously not so much for you... and they can't ship glass tanks. But anyhow just as a reference point, here's a price list for their All Glass, Oceanic, and Perfecto glass tanks. They are a warehouse type deal so their prices are going to be lower than a mom & pop. If you would have the initiative to take the few hours to drive down, I believe you can place a tank on hold to make sure it's there when you arrive. Guess you'd just have to figure how much gas and your time would cost. http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/shipping/Glass_Aquarium_Listing.pdf

Now, I've heard several times that Oceanic glass tanks are the best, All Glass is a close 2nd, and Perfecto is third... and TFP's prices reflect that. That being said, my 75 is a Perfecto, it's at least 10 years old, and I just successfully drilled 4 holes into the glass... after all that it's still a champ.

Anyhow, hold out for the 150... get what you WANT or you'll regret it for sure. ;)

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Yeah, for some time now I've been looking.
    I want to get some anthias but need a bigger tank for them.
    So 6 ft is too long, and a 90 gallon is still only 4 ft.
    I guess what's right in the middle there is a 5 ft 120 or 150 gallon.
    I'm going to have to make custom lights, probably 2 x 250 MH and some T-5s front and back.
    I'd like to make the stand and canopy myself, unless I get a smokin deal on it.

6. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Thanks jandree, maybe I'll do a road trip there over Christmas vaca.
    I'd have to call them, cause I don't see a 150 gal 60"x24"x24" specified on their price sheet.

7. jandree22

jandree22 Astrea Snail

yeah, sorry bout that... they probably could special order, but then again who knows what they'll charge you for that service ::)

oh well, good luck on your search!

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Mine is a Perfecto that I drilled the sides too. Wish you luck on your search for an upgrade. I would look on flee-bay and RC has a local reef section that has stuff for sale. You will save a lot of money if you stay out of the LFS.

10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Thanks Otty.
    I check the CTARS page every now and then, and amcarrig lets me know if she sees any good buys there too.
    I can't believe the prices people are asking for used tanks on craigslist, almost as much as new.
    Oh well, and I decided I need a bottom-drilled tank, so it can fit closer to the wall.