120 Gallon on Sale

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Bogie, Jan 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

120 Gallon on Sale - Is it a good buy?

I just got back from a visit to the LFS and found out they can order a Perfecto 120 gallon (60"x18"x26") drilled with both corner overflows new for $500. Guy said it was a great price on sale.
    Seems like a great deal, and I definitely want a 5 ft tank, only would rather have the (60x24x25), cause the extra 6" width would be much better for stacking rock. Although I could build a PVC rock support frame...
    Only problem with the (60x24x25) is that I can't find anyplace local that can get that size for me. But I could get it though here and pay tons on shipping, plus extra for the extra corner overflow (and what's up the glass wall overflows anyway?):

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=OrderForm&sProdID=AQ_150Long

I'm not going with the starphire front glass here - he said it wasn't an option on that tank anyway with his vendor I think.
    Used tanks I've looked at seem to be scratched, chipped corners, beaten up...

Any opinions or experience with the Perfecto brand vs AGA, etc, and what's everyone think on that price?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

That's pretty much the dimensions of my new plywood tank (63x24x24). Very nice size for aquascaping. been sizing it up because i still dont have glass. Sounds like a great deal!

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I agree, the 2ft wide tank is better for aquascaping than the 18" wide tank.
    The problem is availability, and no I'm not gonna make a plywood tank, lol.

Does anyone know the differences in quality/price of Oceanic vs. Perfecto vs. All Glass Aquariums?

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

If you heart tells you 24", you will only kick yourself if you get the 18". I can understand how you just really want something but I have also been looking for atleast a 125 for a few months now. Be happy with your other tank/tanks and wait for the prize.

It does suck to wait though doesn't it!!:cry:

1 person likes this.
  6. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Thanks, Chris.
    I've been looking since the summer, and the 150 24" wide is very rare to come by used and I can't find one anywhere local new for all that matter :ohwe:.
    A 6ft is just too big though, so the more common 125 and 180 are out of the question. It's not that a I need a 150, (or need to spend a ton to get one for all that matters) it's just that it might look nicer for the aquascaping.
    I've found this deal...and a 120 reef ready is my "runner up" ;D :drummer:.

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

It is always the limits on things that kill ya. So you are limited length wise and my wife is limiting me on style. I had a 125 24" width All Glass not reef ready(best tank I ever had) and ended up going to a 75 Oceanic Reef Ready 18" and was not happy at all (this was about 6 years ago). I sold everything when I moved to Florida and I am just getting back into things. Back to my point.. My wife can't stand the OAK color setups and refuses to allow me to get one. I am stuck looking for something black..talk about pigeon holed.

To bad you are not in florida. There is a guy selling a 150 AGA Reef Ready still in packaging for 475.00.. Not sure of specs thought.

8. Click Here!

9. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Not worth the 3 days of driving to pick it up either...
    I'd think pretty much any tank would be available for the same price, whether oak or black trim. I don't think you'd have as much of a choice on a used tank, but you'd probably be able to get new black tank frames for pretty cheap and replace the oak ones if you had to.

10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Anyone else think this 5 ft 120 gallon reef ready tank is a good deal at $500?
    I have to decide on it by tomorrow :p.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I just called my trusted LFS and asked the same Q and they said "yes", that it is a good price. Luna

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Thanks Tony, See it would be just like your 90 gallon, only 1 foot longer :cheesy:.