120 gallon fowlr lighting

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by AdamS, Mar 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AdamS

AdamS Coral Banded Shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. AdamS

its wierd actually because the other side doesnt have it because of the built in overflow

4. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm not very familiar with GlassCages tanks. Hope someone can answer why one brace is missing.

5. AdamS

probably because of the overflow is my thought but it doesnt look like a panel was removed so...im just trying to find lighting ideas because im newer to saltwater and dont know what exactly to look for

6. ReefWizard

IceCap is a reputable name. If you just get the reflector, you have to figure out a way to install it (like building a canopy). If you want to hang it from the ceiling without canopy, you will need a pendant.

7. AdamS

alright so the MH i showed would be ok? i will probably hang it from the celing just because the tank and stand are so tall. so if i get the reflector then i couldnt mount in to the ceiling or just lay it on the top of the tank? is there any other types of lights u would suggest?

8. Click Here!

9. ReefWizard

You should not just lay MH light on the tank because it need air circulation to cool. You should have it at least 6" above the water line. This one 250/400W HQI Double Ended Pendant by IceCap - AquaCave would be a better choice than just a reflector.

10. AdamS

well ya i would get the 250w ballast and the reflector would the other still be better? you would still need to buy a ballast with the 250/400w hqi right? what are some good t5 fixtures that arent really expensive. Im just looking for lighting around $200 but will still look and preform good thats why i picked the MH. I heard the MH are a lot more costly to run.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  11. ReefWizard

How soon are you planning to move from FOWLR to reef? For fowlr, I personally wouldn't use MH because it is not necessary, cost more to run and will promote algae growth. If you like the shimmer effect of MH, take a look at LED fixtures.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I don't believe your facts are entirely correct here. MH are not quite as efficient as T5s. That being said, a good electronic ballast will really help to minimize the minimal inefficiency. If you have 250w of T5 and 250w of MH, you will basically be using the same amount of electricity. The MH will probably be using a few more watts, but nothing too substantial. Also, MHs do not inherently cause algae growth. That's simply not true. Any light will grow algae, but that really depends on your water parameters and spectrum you use. If you like the shimmer effect, you can look at LEDS , but right now, they are very expensive.

I like your idea. If that's what you want, go for it. I like the idea of using a single MH pendant over that tank for you purposes. If you have a glass center brace, then don't worry about a shadow. However, if you want to spend $200, I would look elsewhere besides MH. A nice pendant will cost you about $150, and the ballast will cost about another $150, plus a bulb, so you looking at between $350 and $400 for a complete setup.