12 - Gallon Nano Cube... New at this, want a good

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Spasticat, Jan 20, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Spasticat

Spasticat Plankton

Hi all

I am new to marine aquariums, and I just recently purchased a Nano Cube (http://www.thehiddenreef.com/Pictures/drygoods/Aquarium/sys_nanocube1.jpg)

Anyways, I mixed the salt and poured it on Saturday. After about 24 hrs of filtering, I added sand and living rock. The pet store told me thats all I can have for about a week, and then maybe throw a crab in there.

Then in another week or so I can get some cool looking fish. In the meantime, I have some questions:

1) How long should I keep the light on during the day?

2) I have about 3 lbs of living rock (and little feathery finger things living on them), will this speed up the waiting process?

3) When do I add/change the water? Its already starting to drop a little, and there is a foamy residue at the top of the water line.

4) I dumped a whole thing of sand in the bottom, and to make it look cool the sand is uneven, with kindof a slope coming down from the back right corner. The slope is about 2.5 inches high, and the rest is 1 inch or below... is this going to cause problems if the sand is too dense in some areas?

Any and all feedback is appreciated! I'm most interested in when I can get some fish in there!  [smiley=drummer.gif]

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Re:  12 - Gallon Nano Cube... New at this, wa

1) I would go 10-12 hours a day on the light.
    2) Rock will help, but I would definitely wait longer before you get fish.
    3) Get in the habit of replacing evaporated water at least once a day to help keep the tank stable. Replace with FRESH water as salt does not evaporate.
    4) I think it will be fine. But many will tell you you should have at least 2 inches of sand in all areas.

Welcome to 3reef! Thanks for joining!

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4. Spasticat

Spasticat Plankton

OK, I'll try to fill it back up to the water line every day... will tapwater be OK?

Also, is there a name for the little tube guys who have feather fingers that come out of them, and then go back in when they get scared? I have a little colony of them on my rock.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Those are 'feather dusters.' 8)

Tapwater can be dicey. Some days it can be fine, others, they can be cleaning the pipes and WHAM, all your corals die.

If you inquire, they will send you an analysis of your local water. I'd recommend doing that and seeing what's in it.

Otherwise, get an R.O. filter for your tapwater or buy some from the grocery store.

That's what I'd do anyway. ;) :)

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcome, clever username.

I would add more sand to about a 4" depth. When you add fish they will tail the sand to their preference and that will leave you with a 2" sand bed in those tailed spots.

The foam or film is probably due to a lack of circulation, adding a small powerhead will create the circulation to break the surface tension of the water and the foam will disappear!

Have fun and go slow as Matt suggest, let your tank cycle and stablilize for several weeks before adding fish. I recommend 8 to 10 weeks personally.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Newbie;num=1074630655;start=0#4 date=01/20/04 at 22:19:18]

The foam or film is probably due to a lack of circulation, adding a small powerhead will create the circulation to break the surface tension of the water and the foam will disappear!
    [/quote]

I'll let Craig correct me if I'm putting words in his mouth.....I think he wants you the angle the powerhead in such a way as to create ripples on the surface. This will break up the scum and encourage good gas exchange. This has a side benefit of increasing dissolved oxygen thereby increasing pH which will be important once you start adding fish.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

I love it when someone puts the right words of clarification in my mouth!

10. CG

CG Bristle Worm

you might have seen from my other post that the guy at my lfs isnt very dependable, but one thing i was impressed was, was that 2 days after i set up my tank it had gone through the cycle and i added a pseudochromis

11. Craig Manoukian

CG,

I've never seen a tank cycle in two days.  It takes a good ammonia spike to stimulate the growth of denitrifying bacteria.  If the spike never happened this might explain why you've lost so many fish.  I don't see the Psuedochromis listed in your signature and I'm assuming it perished in your tank.

The most difficult thing in this hobby is to exercise patients.  As Matt Rogers says, go slow and let it grow!

12. CG

CG Bristle Worm

of course i see that now, and i wish i could start over, the pseudochromis died when i had to leave my tank for a month, other than that he was fine