117 DEGREES??? impossible???

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Strickland_673, Apr 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Strickland_673

Strickland_673 Fire Shrimp

Ok, I was just reading a thread on here and it said not to trust Coralife digital thermometers. Which is what I was using. So Iwent to my kisthcen and grabbed my food thermometer and put it in the tank. it's reading 117 F ?? like what the @#%$. It's definently not due to light heat as I just switched to this tank and waiting for my lighting upgrade, it currently only has 2 T8's on it. my heaters are set to 79.

So I thought maybe the fodd thermo doesn't go low enough so I ran it in some cold tap water and it red 44......so?

this is a 55g FOWLR by the way.

Is this possible? and everything still be alive?

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

put ice in water in a glass, it should read 32 degrees. that's how hubby calibrates his thermometer for a/c/ 117? sounds like you are making fish stew. I'm pretty sure your fish would be dead by now if it was that high.

1 person likes this.
  4. Strickland_673

That's what I figured.....let's hope so. Going to make a run to my LFS now to get a new better thermo.

5. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

yeah +2 on the coralife thermometers...my old one read 93 degrees constantly. even though it was a pleasant 79F.

I highly doubt your tank is running at 117F

1 person likes this.
  6. ChicagoReefOne

ChicagoReefOne Flamingo Tongue

In my own very limited experience I would say no. . . . Fish living near 120 degrees would not survive. Heck I'd have a hard time survivin', hence I live in the cold Midwest.

Food probes are probably not the best for testing liquid, perhaps someone knows exactly why. I don't even think mine is that accurate for testing a roast. Just head down to the LFS and get a $2 red tube, alcohol in glass entry level thermometer. Simple and they work. I have my Coralife digital, a glass tube thermo, and a liquid crystal stick on. They all generally work well.

1 person likes this.
  7. Strickland_673

nvm.....sorry for the state of panic....lol

the thermo is trying to tell me its 117 in my house!

and I live in Nova Scotia Canada

where it's ony 3 C outside.

but thanks for the quick responses.....KARMA for all!

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

phew...........

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Everyone seems to have problems with these.

If they're such crap, how can the company continue to sell them? Maybe nobody complains? Sounds like the basis for a lawsuit to me.

11. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

Tha'ts exactly how I feel about seaclone skimmers!

12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Class action lawsuit, I tell you. If people take a stand, and get the hard evidence together, something always can be done. I actually had a coralife digital thermo in my cart at Dr. Foster and Smith this morning. I removed it.

It's easy enough to prove something like this. Someone just has to stand up and be loud enough. I wonder how many corals have been lost and people confused when they die. Oh my tank is only 72, lets crank it up - then it turns out to be 90 degrees.