110gal Frag/Live Rock Tank Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by JHiestand, Aug 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JHiestand

JHiestand Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Picked up a 110 acrylic from a buddy with a 29 gal sump. I am going to set this up as a live rock/ frag tank. I have 1 400w 20k radium and 4 65w 36in pcs that are 10k/actinic mix. Working on building the light setup right now. Here are some pics of the tank being setup and now it's cycling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. pho88

pho88 Fire Worm

nice build,following

4. JHiestand

Light Build

Thanks, had some time to start the layout for the lights tonight. Going to put halide in middle and pc pointing in on the sides.
    [​IMG]

The black marker line is the opening in the tank, the outside of plywood is the outside of the tank.

[​IMG]

Now I am figuring out how to do this. I think I will cut a sheet of aluminum to cover the bottom of the plywood, then build individual reflectors for everything. The ballasts will be mounted on the top because it's in the garage and it doesn't matter.
    I will keep everyone updated as always.
    John

5. JHiestand

So i got the lights installed but one of my ballasts are bad. So the picture is 250 halide, thought it was 400, and 2 65w pcs that are 24" not 36". Picked up a ton of stuff today for a few hundred, I am sure there is 400-500 worth once i frag it down. I will post better pics once the lights are setup right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JHiestand

Light Upgrade

So I got rid of the crappy 250, thought it was a 400, and the pcs, and picked up a dual 250 pfo ballast and 2 4ft vhos with super actinic bulbs for $60. Included were a ton of bulbs, some new some old. I also fragged everything and added a clown tang and a sixline, I have a cleanup crew on the way.

This is all lights on:
    [​IMG]

Actinic only:
    [​IMG]

Those actinics are way bright. At some point I may cut this tank down to 12" and add a new top piece to it, it's too damn hard to reach in and grab the frags out.

7. Sloanhaus

Sloanhaus Astrea Snail

Why the sump if you have no fish and aren't feeding?

8. Click Here!

9. JHiestand

There is a clown tang and a sixline wrasse in there, I do feed

10. Anaybalian

Anaybalian Plankton

its a really big size aquarium but i must certainely say that it will really create a bit problem in cleaning it
    i want to know what is the maximum number of fishes you keep in it and what type of fish do you have currently???? i am unable to see any fish in this pic

11. JHiestand

There is 1 clown tang and 1 sixline wrasse along with 2 cleaner shrimp and a blue linkia starfish.

I am selling this tank and building a 30 breeder frag tank now.