100 gal Corner Tank Build - Lights are in!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Airstreamin, Jan 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Airstreamin

Airstreamin Astrea Snail

Hello all! Long time lurker, researcher, dreamer finally ready to start building. I was initially going to start out with a 40 gal nano build after we bought our house but I got lucky and found myself a killer deal on a 100 gal DAS Corner Tank, the "craigslist special" as I like to call it.

So here's what we've got, ripped out the old POS "all in one" overflow system, stripped all the paint and am currently in the process of touching up a bad silicone job by the PO (read as ripping it out and redoing it :( ).

Other than that, here's my plans:

1. SPS, LPS, Anemone tank with main focus on SPS.
    2. No powerheads needed.
    3. 700 GPH flow (roughly).

Equipment:

Tank: 100 Gal DAS Corner Tank
    Sump: 20 gal long DIY (love Petco's $1 a gal sale! Wanted to use my 40b as the sump but it won't fit in the stand :( )
    Pump: Eheim 1262
    Heater: 2x HMO-300 FINNEX
    Lighting: 2x AI Sol Blue
    Rock: Live fiji Apx 140 lbs in tank, 30 lbs in sump
    Protein Skimmer: 6" Reef Octopus Pinwheel
    Sand: BAHAMAS OOLITE ARAG-ALIVE! REEF SAND (100 lbs in tank, 40lbs in sump)

My plan is to run 2x 1" drains (1x full siphon, 1x emergency overflow) in a BRS 1800 GPH overflow box in the back corner, with 2x 3/4" returns from the pump off of a T fitting. the two lines will be run to the front sides of the tank with a locline Y fitting and 2 locline hoses on each (4 lines total, 2 on each side). Off of those loclines I'm going to run 2 vortex heads on the lines aiming towards the back of the tank and 2x 4" spade heads on the 2 aiming towards the fronts. This should give me plenty of flow throughout the tank without having to use powerheads.

To do list:
    I put in my order to BRS for the overflow box, pump, bulkheads, locline fittings, rock and sand. As soon as that gets in it's time to drill and plump.

While waiting on the order I need to finish up the silicone repairs and do a full water check (plan on leaving it for a week).

Anything anyone sees that I've missed or could change / alter?

Pics:

After buying it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hood after buying it: (These are all getting ripped out and replaced with 2x AI Sol Blues)
    [​IMG]

After ripping out the "all in one" overflow, cleaning all the paint off and starting to get all of the old silicone out (from where the overflow was):
    [​IMG]

The "all in one" overflow that was in it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Very cool! I can't wait to see it up and running :)

By the way, you're going to need a LOT more flow than 700 gph ;) I have that much flow in my 29 gallon and it isn't nearly enough. I'm planning on buying a Koralia or 2. My recommendation, as you want to keep a lot of SPS, would be to get AT LEAST 4,500-5,000 gph in the tank ;)

4. Airstreamin

Airstreamin Astrea Snail

Hmmm... Looks like I'm not going to be able to stay powerheadless :-/

I was hoping to get away with using flow vortechs on the ends of the return lines directed towards where I plan on setting up my sps, I figured this should, roughly based on flow distance, headloss, etc, give me apx 3,500 GPH in flow to this area. Guess I need to add a powerhead or two to the list. Thanks for the input! :thumb_up:

Oh, just in case it wasn't clear in my first post, the 700 gph was what I'm planning on running through the sump. Was calculating based on flow control of 3,500 GPH equivalent in overall "flow" in the tank.

5. Camkha1234

Oh, now I get it :) What Vortechs were you planning on getting?

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

7. Camkha1234

Maybe you could try one mp60 and one mp10 or two mp40's ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Coasterofluv

Coasterofluv Fire Worm

stoked to see this project in action. I've got a fondness for corner tanks but always get talked out of one. That and hexagons.

10. Airstreamin

Airstreamin Astrea Snail

Sorry, Vortex not Vortechs if that caused any confusion.

I was thinking something like this (claims 400%, which I doubt):
    Ista Vortex Water Flow Accelerators MPT

Thanks! Been a long time lurker so it's nice to finally be moved in to the house and on to actually contributing!

Oh if only the "fish fund" would allow that. I was lucky enough to justify the $3k budget I've set for setup haha. Those are definitely on my "must have" list down the road though. Trying to stay as budget conscious for now.

11. Airstreamin

Airstreamin Astrea Snail

Yeah I love corner tanks, personally, so it just so happened that the house we bought has a second floor with a wraparound staircase that a fish tank just might happen to fit in the corner of perfectly. Huh, strange how that works out ;D

Of course the wife had to see if she could find any benches or tables that she liked for that spot first but for some reason she never did find any that fit just perfectly with the extra step addition I had the builders add... Strange how that works out.

I really want to do a 250 gallon in my media room that will be the center piece of a built in bar I'm going to do in the next few years but I doubt the wife would sign off on that right now haha.

12. Camkha1234

Oh. Then you will definitely have to use some powerheads :-/

Maybe you could get 2 or 3 Koralia 1400's for the main flow, then 2 or 3 Koralia 550's along the back of the tank aimed toward the rocks and near the sandbed so that detritus and cyano won't build up ;)