100% dry rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by islefan39, Apr 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. islefan39

islefan39 Plankton

I had a question I was hoping everyone would be able to help me with. I'm in the process of getting everything together to get my tank set up. I'm just a little confused about something. If I go with 100% dry rock for my tank from either reefcleaners or brs and use Dr. Tim's would you suggest I use some live as well or would the Dr. Tims seed the dry rock? I'm trying to avoid the pests that go a long with the live rock? Or would you suggest a mix of some dry and some live? Thank you for your help.

2. Click Here!

3. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

I would personally go 90% DR and 10% LR this would start you off and would gradually seed quickly. Minimal pests if any.

Good Luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. Marty

Marty Stylophora

+1 the only reason to do 100% base rock would be a fear of a baddie hitch-hicker. But these can be dealt with. :uzi:

5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

and keep in mind, many hitchhikers are very cool to have, hence the popularity of LR

6. louy99

louy99 Feather Duster

There is nothing wrong with 100% dry and dose one and only from Dr T. You will need some ammonia which they will give for free if you ask.

7. Marty

Marty Stylophora

I agree, I am doing 150 pounds of base and 30 pounds of LR for my 180. :) I LOVE hitch-hikers! It's part of the fun, IMO.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Most of the hitchhikers that actually survive on live rock are pests. Most of the desirable stuff is more sensitive and doesn't make it. As to seeding, a little live rock, or scoop of sand from someone's tank is more than adequate. Actually, the bacterial spores necessary for seeding are really everywhere, there is some in tap water, on your hands, in the dust floating around the air in your house etc... I've setup tanks without any live rock, sand etc.. and they do seed just fine. Seeding is fine though, it may introduce other bacteria, algae etc, which may also be beneficial or desirable.

10. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I used 100% dead rock and sand. Seeded with Dr Tims. cycled in 3 weeks. And the only thing in my tank is what I choose to put in it. That's why I don't use Live rock.

11. jonnyeatworld

jonnyeatworld Astrea Snail

Is Dr. Tim's Really that good of a product?

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

You probably want some corrailine (sp?) also. I used two small pieces of LR from the lfs that had some corrailine, took a few months, and purple was everywhere!