10 Sump/fuge build.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Seano Hermano, Oct 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Here's what I've got planned...

I will be installing my Glass Holes (Super Nano) overflow box in the back right corner of my 29g tank. The drain line will come down, splitting with a "T". One side going straight down, the other to the left, which will be the intake section with a filter sock. The that side will go to the skimmer, then to the baffles, & then the return. I was going to go with an Eheim 1250, as I know they are good quality, but there are other pumps out there for a better price. Any thoughts on this? I think someone recommended the Rio 9.5? I will need about 200-300gph at 3 ft head. I think for the skimmer I will go with a Coralife 65, or something similar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The tank I started with. Yuck.
    [​IMG]

Vuala! Clean tank.:D
    [​IMG]

For now, until I install the OF, this will be a temp. QT for my one fish. We will be going to the glass shop tomorrow to get an estimate on how much it will cost.

...should bring me 1 step closer to a more successful reef tank. :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Nice. Thanks for the illustration. My little sump doesn't work like that, the fuge is in the middle & no area is big enough for a skimmer (plus there's a lid on it). We've been puzzling over what would be a better setup & this helped illustrate it.

4. Seano Hermano

Thanks. I try to do an illustration of all my ideas before doing them. it gives a better understanding & I will easily see if I missed something.

5. Seano Hermano

I think the layout above(refer to illustration) is the most practical for the use of space.

6. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Did you get your sucker from gl*******s?

7. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

Looks great and I'm not trying to be negative, but are you gonna get enough flow to the return pump with such a small space flowing over the first 2 baffles of the bubble trap? Just food for thought...

8. Click Here!

9. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

While I like the idea of the way your flow pattern is setup I have some concerns.

1. Any dirt that makes it past the filter sock and skimmer (and it will) will settle at the bottom where your return pump will pick it back up and put it back in the DT.

2. How are you planning to keep the sand bed in the fuge and not have it pour out the bottom and add to item #1

3. That flow pattern through the fuge will prevent the lower area of the sand bed from becoming anerobic therefore negatiing the whole purpose of having it.

Sadly I think the design needs to be tweaked so the flow goes over the top of the baffles instead of under.

edit: lol, forget all that, just realised it was a top down view :p

10. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Nice Seano! Intresting layout with the baffles. Hope it all works out for you.

11. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Taking another look I think you can do away with the baffle seperating the filtersock and skimmer area. Just have it be one big section with you drain going into the filter sock. Or is there a reason behind this baffle?

12. Seano Hermano

Thanks for the positive notes, everyone.

I wasn't sure If I needed a wall there or not? I thought maybe that would help give me something to attach the sock to(so it doesn't fall straight down)? Your thoughts on this? Is there a peice I can buy, specifically to hold the filter sock?