10 month update

Discussion in 'Coral' started by ziggy222, Dec 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jasno999

jasno999 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yeah I tried using tap water to start and my tank was a compplete mess. My phosphate leves were high so I had horriable algae issues. Purchased a RO water purifier with a de-ionization cartrige and the tank improved very fast and never had a problem since.

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i tested everyone elses water and my water tds are twice what anyone elses is.i don't beleive it can be a mistake.phosphates are 0.all readings are fine.nitrate,nitrite phos,calcium is over 450 often.maybe all this chaetto and carbon is the reason the tanks ok.also i hav e a plenum in the main display.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i just got back from my lfs and he said that the tds in my water may not be bad .its more important to know what kind of tds.i'm taking my water there for a complete test.my basic test kit tells me few important things.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good idea Ziggy. This usually sparks a test kit debate.. but maybe santa can bring you some Salifert test kits. They are supposed to be top notch. I used SeaChem which are good and cheaper alternatives myself. But regardless, good test kits are worth it.

I'd borrow a different TDS meter out of curiosity myself to check against yours. Maybe your LFS has one.